Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror Tool - How to mirror an animation?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jojo_la_carcasse
9218 Views, 2 Replies

Mirror Tool - How to mirror an animation?

Hey everyone! 😃

First, I'm new here, and I'm not English (but French) so I'll try to do my best to be understood, but I could get confused sometimes. =P

So, I'm making a game with TRLE (Tomb Raider Level Editor), and I often make animations. But the software I use (WADMerger) is very limited. And some animations now need mirrored versions. So I chose 3DS Max to do this! (the main animations are finished, I just need to mirror them)

The problem is: I can't seem to find the correct parameters to mirror my animations. If I've understood well, 3DS Max mirrors the model, and not the animations... But that's the way I'd like to do.

I used the classic Mirror tool, with all possible combinaisons, but it won't work the way I want (by the X axis). And I haven't found any other tool to do that (but maybe I'm not using the good key words?)

Knowing the only keys avaible Position+Rotate keys for one mesh (Lara's hips), and only the Rotate keys for all the other meshes: do you know how I could mirror my animations, and not the meshes?

Thank you by advance! 😉

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RobH2
in reply to: jojo_la_carcasse

I believe you reverse animation in the 'Dope Sheet.' Go to Dope sheet and select the time range of the animated object. Go up to the 'Time' menu and select 'Reverse.' That's worked for me in the past.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 3

the best way to do a mirror animation is getting the matrix value of the controller and mirror this value via maxscript. I believe 3ds max doesn't have a mirror animation button. 

Okey-doke,
Henrique Melo | FX Technical Artist

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report