Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass FX dropping objects into container problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2430 Views, 2 Replies

Mass FX dropping objects into container problem

Hello,
I just started using 3Ds Max 2014 and I was trying to create a very simple animation for a class,
it's basically the "marbles and container" exercises. My problem is the dynamic bodies keep going through the static object.

The scene would consist in dropping some pills into a container, then dropping the container itself (with the pills inside) on the floor.

I used a cylinder for the container, edit poly, deleted the top face, added a vinyl material.
For the pills I started with a line, then modeled my way through it.

I tried the animation with the container as a static rigid body (set on original) and as a kinematic body (which was my 1st option as i would need the container to fall as well). But nothing seems to work.
I also tried dropping simple spheres into the container and that worked (only with some of them though ) so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the pill's settings?

I have attached my Max file project.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
paulneale
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like you need the solver steps increased so that it does more calculations. 

Paul Neale

http://paulneale.com

Paul Neale

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

"PhysX Warning: fail to create Rigidbody from node 'Line001'!" should be a bit of a clue.
Not sure what you did to the pills, but their controllers are wrong. They have Position List and Rotation List controllers, but they would normally have the default PositionXYZ and EulerXYZ controllers, even when the MassFX Modifer is in place.
Delete the MassFX modifier, go to the Motion Panel and replace the 2 controllers with their default controller types. Add the MassFX modifier and click Simulate - and they will. After that it is a matter of fine-tuning the simulation, but until you get them working at all that will be tricky 😉

Secondly, your Cylinder is invalid - you've lost the thickness of the base, and the single remaining poly is flipped (upside-down) so the Sim is ignoring it like it wasn't there.

Remember that MassFX is a real world simulation, so you must make your objects as real as possible, and the correct size - I somehow doubt that a pill bottle is 17 inches high. Modeling to scale is absolutely vital if you want realistic sims, and realistic lighting too.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report