Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bones not following model?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
723 Views, 4 Replies

Bones not following model?

Okay so I have this face model with a very basic rig for with mouth and eyebrows. I have animated the mouth and eyebrows to match my audio file, and now I want to transform the head in scale, rotation and poistion. Because basically, he's going to be a floating head for a video I'm going to post to YouTube. But when I rotate or move the head, the bones don't follow it. And not to mention scaling doesn't work either.

Perhaps I've rigged my model wrong? Let me know.

Here's a link to the 2013 .max file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwwin237j5sw1yi/floating%20head%20first%20line.max

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
paulneale
in reply to: Anonymous

Post some images of what you have as I don't have time to be inspecting your Max file. 

Paul Neale

http://paulneale.com

Paul Neale

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
doodski

You will probably need to parent the skeleton's top node under a group, locator, dummy, or something that acts as a top node controller. If the head geometry is skinned to the skeleton, you move the skeleton, not the head geo. The skeleton drives the head geo.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Thank you sulot00! Grouping was the solution I needed. Out of curiosity, how would I go about using a dummy as the "top node controller"?
Message 5 of 5
doodski

I don't use max much anymore, but linking a bone to a dummy is very simple. Just use the linking tool to drag from the top (parent) bone to the dummy and the dummy will act as the parent of your joint chain. If I remember correctly, dummies in max are great to use as controllers for any Character rig.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report