Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNIFIED MODELLING

UNIFIED MODELLING

What would really rock my day would be alias to have unified modelling, similar to icem surf.

For example one feature that would be awesome to have would be defining constraints,e.g.:

Say you have surfaces already aligned and G2 to one another. At this stage, we could induce g2 constrain boundaries to what is already aligned, and therefore tweak all surfaces  the way we want without breaking too much the previous alignment between surfaces. This is quite different than the align tool itself and the rig tools.

This tool, would speed up a lot reverse engineering work, traditional surfacing, as well as form and shape creativity.

Maybe with the new aquisition of VSR this can be implemented realistically. Let's hope.

This would be a super mega tool to have, and quite diferentiating 🙂

I am available for any further discussion and/or development.

Thank you.

3 Comments
digiformer
Collaborator

Unfortunately i have no clue about ICEM, but i allways loved the idea of tools keeping continuity (g123whatever).

I tried to find info about UM on the net, but everything i found seemed to be coverd by Alias modeling history features.

You mentioned this would be more powerful than align and rig tool. I admit Rig tool is not very useful to me, becouse it almost never keeps exact continuities. It just holds a bunch of surfaces together somehow...

For editing surfaces, modeling history forces us to use the tool options of the tool the surface was created with. If these options do not provide a way to reach the desired result, we have to delete the modeling history of this surface and go on pulling CVs... In this case the surrounding geometry would keep continuity as long as i dont also have to touch it by "pulling CVs" (wich leads to further histoy deleting). Between those to "dead" surfaces i would have to use the align tool to automatically keep continuity while twitching CVs.

Are you talking about something like a multi edge align?

Could you give some more hints?

Kind regards

mcolinp
Advocate

I was thinking along this line myself; and my instincts tell me that if you already had a patch aligned to G2 on a perpendicular edge of a surface; and you had to "break" history to align the next perpendicular edge of the surface; that there could be a check box in the Align tool that attemped to bind a G0 positional alignment on the previous perpendicular edge; and allow you to control the Eveluation locator (for the G0 Side) to see if the new align is breaking continuity at whatever level you are trying for. 

mcolinp
Advocate

Lately; I have thought more about this; and I was thinking how amazing it would be to make the aligment sliders (G1, G2, G3, etc) so that they snap to bordering surface cv's; much like the extend tool does to surface edges or curves on suface. What do you think? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report