Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

alias on a brand new laptop

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
wirefram3d
1513 Views, 3 Replies

alias on a brand new laptop

hello everyone!

i always had alias running on my pcs since when i started my design degree..

it runs smoothly on my old laptop (win xp 32bit, core duo t7700, 3Gb ram, nvidia 8600mgt first, now upgraded to 240mgt).

since i graduated last week my parents bought me a brand new laptop, (win7 64bit, core i7, 8Gb ram, nvidia gt630m + integrated)..

i understand it's not a quadrofx, but since my 8600mgt, strongly underpowered compared to the 630m, was able to run it, i thought it should run verywell on the new laptop too..

well there's no way to run alias smoothly, mainly because it seems to run on the intel graphic card included in the i7 core..

i've tryed to create a filter on the nvidia control pannel to tell alias to run on the 630m, but it doesn't work and at launch i got an error saying alias is running on a non compatible hardware with 64Mb vram..

which is obviously not the case of the 630m (2Gb)

"3D Device
    Vendor : Intel
    Video Processor 1 : Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Video Processor 2 : GeForce GT 630M
    Video Memory : 64 MB

WARNING : Your current Graphics Hardware (video card) is below Autodesk
recommended levels. Alias might run, but may have bad display performance or
instability. Please see the link below for more details and a list of
hardware recommendations."

creating the filter makes actually alias run on the 630mgt.. or at leaste the system says so..

but it still runs quite slow compared to the 8600 and the 240m...

could it be a driver problem?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
wirefram3d
in reply to: wirefram3d

updated the driver, nothing has changed..

the error message appears just because it switches videocard while lounching the program..

setting the nvidia drivers to just work only with the 630m prevent the error message but doesn't improve performances..

Message 3 of 4
donest

When booting up the laptop hit the key that will bring you to your bios settings. In there you should be able to disable the onboard video (unless you have something similar to crossfire which will utilize both).

Message 4 of 4
wirefram3d

hello and thanks for the answer..

apparently i can't disable the integrated vga, since the laptop monitor is connected only to that one 😞

tested by disabling the hd4000 in windows..

blackscreen, no way to get it back..

solved only by rebooting..

i may try to get a win7 64bit pro version..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report