Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why was "set pivot" behavior changed in 2013 and how can I get it back to 2012?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
eobet
517 Views, 8 Replies

Why was "set pivot" behavior changed in 2013 and how can I get it back to 2012?

When I choose the "set pivot" tool in 2013, the entire surface gets deformed for some reason, in addition to moving the pivot!

I just want to move the pivot.

How can I get the old behavior back?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ravenzep
in reply to: eobet

As far as i know the behaviour did not change. Maybe you ar edoing somethign wrong.

Attach the file, or the part in question, and i will be able to help you.

Message 3 of 9
eobet

Here's a file example.

When I press "p" to move the pivot only, the entire model moves, AND I can see a differnt symbol move as well, that has the same color as the pivot... but I have no idea what it is or where it came from, or how I accidentally enabled it.

In the 2012, 2011 and 2012 versions, I never came across something like it.

Message 4 of 9
eobet

Ok, I re-installed the 2012 version, and the behavior is still broken.

Apparently, I messed up something in the file?

This is what happens after a "center pivot" operation:

Notice how the two surfaces, that were once aligned with construction history, have moved and separated, from a single "center pivot" operation which should, in itself, not affect the geometry at all.

ARGH!

And there is seemingly no help to get on this either! Alias help files only mentions that there are different types of pivot points controlling different things, but for the actual move pivot tool, they conveniently forget to bring it up.

Message 5 of 9
donest

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do. It works fine for an individual surface, but if you select more than one you should "group" them and then you can set a pivot point that will be common to all. Also, I have "set pivot" on my marker menu for convenience. Could it be that something is messed up in your hot keys?

Message 6 of 9
eobet
in reply to: donest

@donest wrote:

It works fine for an individual surface, but if you select more than one you should "group" them and then you can set a pivot point that will be common to all.

But with ANY other set of surfaces, you never need to group. I can recreate these exact surfaces (using the offset distance 0 trick, for example) and I do not need to group.

I've been using this software for three years now, and I've never needed to group, or seen the particular pivot behavior which seems to be "stuck" in the above attached wire file.

So what triggered that behavior?

Nobody has been able to give an answer yet.

Message 7 of 9
JohnDixon8251

That is a messed up surface. I have not had a chance to figure out what is wrong with it but it is bad. If you try "duplicate object" it totally changes shape and when I moved a CV the software carshed. I would get rid of those surfaces and start over.

Message 8 of 9
donest
in reply to: JohnDixon8251

Noting John's comments, I rebuilt the heart and it seems to be fine now. I have no idea why yours was behaving like that.  See attached.

Message 9 of 9
christj

try a zero transforms on the surfaces. you may have to delete construction history first. Would like to know how you npscaled them - the problem seems to lie there. Can say that I've ever seen that behaviour before...

c

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report