Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitional surface help needed

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
next3
489 Views, 4 Replies

Transitional surface help needed

Hello everyone.
I'm having problems with one transitional surface and would like to ask you to help me out.

I'm following a tutorial you can find under this link:

http://aliasdesign.autodesk.com/learning/tutorials/details/Modelling_A_Tennis_Racket_In_135991/

I also prepared a short presentation with images of the surface I'm having problems with:

http://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dfng7xtr_25hg34k2gh

I did achieve curvature continuity but not everywhere. On two places I have just position continuity.

Please give me a hand. I’m struggling with this surfaces for a month.

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
kevinRichards
in reply to: next3

can you post the surfaces?

first glance, it seems that the fillet should start and stop with the other surface boundaries.
Message 3 of 5
next3

Thanx a lot for you interest.

The reason why I did that in two surfaces was because it was done also in that tutorial. The guy explained, that for one surface it is too much so it’s better to divide it in two. I had also to cut the surfaces from bottom. So it doesn’t need to twist so much.
I did also another presentation for you.

http://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dfng7xtr_33fcvrnjfn

First I was working under Catia tolerances but had to switch to user defined tolerances so the job is easier.

I attached also my file.

Thank you!
Message 4 of 5
kevinRichards

here is an alternative solution. trying to create sections like the tutorial can become tedious. lots of experimenting.

here i just deleted the blends that you had, used freeform blend(set flow for the small side to default and the corner area to connect), and adjusted the shape with the slider, then patched the small surface with a square.

mirror the halves and used freeform blend again. i made sure that the flow settings were set to "Edge Align"
viola. 6 mins later... good enough for all practical purposes.

you may notice that there are 3 areas that do not create the Green C(i am using tighter tolerances than you used as well) but this seriously does not matter. the blend in the corner only needed a few manual tweeks of the CVs to make it Green. i was only moving them .001mm at a time. that is not a noticeable amount.

sure you could build this lighter, but this took no time, highlights nice, full history and stitches fine for production.
Message 5 of 5
next3

Hello Kevin.

Thank you a lot for your help. I'll try to do that as you did and play with that surfaces for a bit. Anyway you already helped me a lot.

Many thanx. !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report