Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sciguy77
472 Views, 4 Replies

Sheet metal?

So, my PC crashed and along with it went my copy of Autodesk Inventor. 😞

For now I'm using my mac, which has Alias, but to be honest I've never used Alias before. Can I create a sheet metal design to be CNC cut? I just need to do a super simple sketch done. Is there a tutorial on using Alias for sheet metal cuts?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
donest
in reply to: sciguy77

You should be able to create designs using CV curves and/or Edit point curves. A lot of laser cutters can use a simple dxf file to cut metal. In Alias just export the file as a dxf.

Message 3 of 5
ravenzep
in reply to: donest

No, you can´t.

Alias is a surface modeller.

What you want to do is solid modelling, and alias doesnt work that way. Thank god.

Regards. 

Message 4 of 5
donest
in reply to: sciguy77

Hey ravenzip. I think you took his question to mean that he wanted to cnc a 3D model. I took it to mean he only wants to cut shapes from flat sheet metal. Many cnc programs will work from line art. For example, if you wanted to cut a star shape out of a flat sheet. There are laser cutters that will work directly from Illustrator files.

Message 5 of 5
ravenzep
in reply to: donest

Hi Donest, hope everything is cool with you:)

Sure, i know what you mean.

Sheet metal is a module of good solid modelers like Catia or NX, i dont know about Inventor because i dont use it at all.

It s a very weird program to me with all that apparent simplicity.

Anyway, Alias is not parameterized as such tools, that s what i wanted to make clear to him.

He can even cut sheet metal from 3ds max..... Maybe even from a sketch on a sheet of paper. LOL

But yes, you are absolutely right. 

Regards 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report