Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shading bug with Alias Automotive 2011

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
bermudezzz
1555 Views, 14 Replies

Shading bug with Alias Automotive 2011

Hello,

i have a strange bug with Alias Automotive 2011 x64. Whenever i use a shader, the display is producing the bug. You can see it on the screenshot.

I am using Windows 7 x64, Q6600, geforce gts 512mb.

I already have tried to reinstall Alias and the gforce driver...

Does everyone know what to do here?

Unbenannt-1.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Me too, GTX 470 with 266.58 drivers, Win7Pro x64

Can anybody advise of a fix?  Hardware accel of wireframe works a treet, but not Hardware Shade

Autodesk ALais Auto, 2011 x64

Thanks in advance

Message 3 of 15
simonwilk
in reply to: gofasterstripes

Not much help I am afraid, but I am feeling your pain!. I am using ALIAS design Studio 2011 X64 and have the same problem, using Quad Intel with Geforce GT445m with 3Gig on board ram, I am experiencing the exact same problems. I have tried reinstalling an old graphics card and the latest graphics card, re-installed ALIAS and the latest HOT fix but to no avail!!   gggrrrrr. The machine and card are more than capable of running this software.

Message 4 of 15
anand_joshi
in reply to: simonwilk

Use qualified graphics cards & problems like these will dissappear.

Regards

Anand
Message 5 of 15
simonwilk
in reply to: bermudezzz

Thanks, thats real helpful! Does anybody have any useful ideas?

Message 6 of 15

Anand - of course I would like to use a qualified graphics card, but I don't have £100 - £3000 spare for a Quadro. 

A friend has informed me that he is using a 9500GT Geforce  [actually, he's using 2 in SLI, but I don't think that makes a difference] with no problems at all.  They seem to be around for £30-odd, and he's using the current Forceware Drivers.

Might be worth a try - maybe see if you can get a deal where you return it if it doesn't do the trick.

Also I am using Alias on my laptop with a ATI 4570 - seems to work, though it's slow.

Goodluck guys - anymore ideas anyone?

Message 7 of 15
simonwilk
in reply to: gofasterstripes

Hi ....

Just for info only, found this!

Geforce seems to work for Mac users........

Come on Autodesk whats going on????

Message 8 of 15
digiformer

i experience the same behaviour on our geforce 9800GT. Though im sure that it did work fine when i first installed it - but i cant reproduce that anymore.

I did some driver updates since then. Maybe some older driver would help...

Regards

Tobias

Message 9 of 15
chris_b
in reply to: digiformer

try turning all wireframe and shading antialiasing off...

c

(and get a decent graphic card. An fx580 is $US150)

Message 10 of 15
designlabor

Hi, I have the same problems on MACBookPro with Bootkamp, direct on apple it works now good (before updating there was as shading fault with HDRI-Rendering). One I had solved the problem but it came back again..to bad I can't remember... But I think finally I tried a reinstall and it worked. Probably the problem came back because I just installed Maya?? 

Message 11 of 15
digiformer

I did a little testing..when i turn off "Allocate Hardware Anti-Alias Resources on Startup" in the anti aliasing option window everything is fine. I guess then u can just use the software anti aliasing, but in the very most cases it proves satisfactory...

hope it works also for you...

Regards

tobias

Message 12 of 15
digiformer
in reply to: digiformer

Did anyone else test this?

Regards

Tobias

Message 13 of 15

Yes that will fix it on my system, but I didn't mention it before as I mentioned in my 1st post that it was the HARDWARE shading that was the problem.  A stock Core i7 920 is slow-as-**** with S/W shading.  This is still irratatingly true at 3.8GHz/core.

As I said, turning OFF H/W shade will fix the problem, but I'd like it work.  I  can't see why it doesn't, my card [470GTX ]will compute 64bit figures like a Quadro.

I guess deliberate poor Geforce driver coding by nvidia myself.

Meh.

However, as you've said, this may allow you to work, so well done for finding a workabout.  I have been using this, but it's frustratingly slow.

GfS

Message 14 of 15

Is there any "software shading" in alias?

I guess with "software shading" you mean the "software anti aliasing" of the hardware shaded model. And you hope the "hardware anti aliasing" would be more comfortable.

I allways made the experience that HW-AA is slower then SW-AA.

The only benefit of HW-AA i found was that exported screenshots bigger than screensize are smooth anti-aliased in HW-AA-Mode but are just "digitally zoomed" in SW-AA-Mode.

So if you turn all AA off even a simple hardware shaded model is too slow? If the hardware shading itself is a problem  i suggest another grafics card.

A simple model hardware shaded  and software anti aliased works smooth even when aa-level is set to "high" on my GT9800+Q9590

I hope i did not confuse anything...thats the way i understood it...

Regards

Tobias

Message 15 of 15

In my case Hardware shade causes the same problem as in the OPs picture.  Hardware Anti-Alais works great - ON IT'S OWN only.

Bummer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report