Alias General

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 31 of 64 (396 Views)

Re: Project Falcon Technology Preview now available on Autodesk Labs

07-02-2012 08:12 AM in reply to: ABukowski

I do not know of anything schedueld at this time.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
ABukowski
Message 32 of 64 (394 Views)

07-02-2012 08:15 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

Thank you for the reply.

I only ask because if i remember correctly, the current version of Falcon has a license that runs out in August.

tomislavp4
Message 33 of 64 (386 Views)

07-02-2012 12:38 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

Looks promising! It is easy to use and is focused on simulating the flow over the exterior of a vehicle without being crowded with too many tools. I don´t think one can count on it though.

• The first issue is the lack of a moving floor. Cars operate fairly close to the road and the interaction between the road surface and the undebody of the vehicle has a major effect on both downforce and drag.
  • Second major issue is the lack of support for rotating bodies. Tyres can have a major effect on the flow, especially in open-wheel vehicles such as motorcycles and race cars.
  • Third issue is support for exhaust flow. Since it is a highly energetic flow, the flow from the exhaust can alter the flow and be used to generate more df or reduce drag if used properly.

Are these features in the pipeline?

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 34 of 64 (355 Views)

07-09-2012 08:40 AM in reply to: tomislavp4

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
florentin.ybert
Message 35 of 64 (333 Views)

07-20-2012 01:15 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

I have the same problem:

Falcon.exe
Project Falcon 2012
on
Windows XP Pro 64
SP 2

After installation, attempt to run by clicking installed icon... Get the following error
Falcon Application
Exception caught whilst running WindTunnelApp: 'pack://application:,,,/WPFOpenTK;Component/Themes​/ExpanderTemplate.xaml' value cannot be assigned to property 'Source' of object 'System.Windows,ResourceDictionary'. Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file
specified. Error at object 'System.Windows.ResourceDirectory' in markup file 'WindTunnel_CFD;component/mainwindow.xaml'.

Please HELP !!!

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 36 of 64 (321 Views)

07-20-2012 08:06 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

This error message indicates that your system is lacking a component that Project Falcon needs in order to run. Sometimes you can resolve this by getting newer system libraries. One of these new libraries may contain the missing functionality that Project Falcon is looking for. You should at least try Wndwos update and get all of the updates available for your system. This is not a guarantee, but it is worth a try.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
N12ck
Message 37 of 64 (319 Views)

07-20-2012 01:19 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

where can I find lift coefficient's or lift values on this software?

Thanks

Nick

suraj1793
Message 38 of 64 (275 Views)

08-11-2012 08:11 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I have modled a car on Inventor and pulled it into Project Falcon as an STL file, I have simulated it but dont have any idea how to read the results, the graph on the bottom of the screen shows me the drag coeficient (which I need) but this changes as the time on the graph changes, this is onfusing me because I thought the air flow over the car was constant meaning the drag coeficient should be constant.

Also if there is anything else i should be looking out for in these tests then please tell me.

Thank you.

N12ck
Message 39 of 64 (273 Views)

08-11-2012 10:42 AM in reply to: suraj1793
You need to allow the results to converge, it will change a lot for the first 1-2 hours then starts to home in on the actual number Nick
eng_Andy
Message 40 of 64 (246 Views)

08-28-2012 02:39 AM in reply to: N12ck
In case anyone's around, will Falcon eventually produce a Cd in 2D (Concept) mode, or only in 3D (Simulation) mode? Asking because I'm going to be waiting for hours either way, trying to model a cowling/duct in a 2x2x2.25m control volume, with 0.01m voxels on an AMD 64 X2 5200+ (2.71GHz) and 3GB of RAM on XP Pro SP3. Running in 2D mode just now, it's ticking along at what looks something like 1fps. :smileysad: It would be nice to be able to use some degree of 'smart meshing', or essentially telling falcon to use less elements/'voxels' in certain parts of the control volume, such as in the gaping hole in the middle of this model. I think that's what allenhung was trying to get at earlier.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community