Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alias 2014/2015, NVIDIA Quadro, NVIDIA Geforce, AMD FirePro

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
artem.gruden
1259 Views, 7 Replies

Alias 2014/2015, NVIDIA Quadro, NVIDIA Geforce, AMD FirePro

Hello guys who has any pro videocards, please tell what's the difference between Quadro-Geforce, Firepro-Geforce?

Is the Quadro faster than Geforce in Alias, Inventor, VRED, Showcase?

I wanna buy a new videocard, but i don't know which. Should I wait for a new generation of NVIDIA (Maxwell)?

My projects are small.

Please help me to make decision.

And what about ambient occlusion computing in Alias? It loads all the CPU (Core i7) but GTX460 is in idle, what about Quadro?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
donest
in reply to: artem.gruden

The quadro cards were developed for 3D Cad type programs. The GeForce cards work O.K. for 2D such as PhotoShop or Illustrator, and were developed for gaming. They sometimes will work with Alias, but Autodesk does not support those cards, so any problems relating to video...don't call tech support. Check the qualified hardware chart for the supported quadro cards.

Message 3 of 8
artem.gruden
in reply to: donest

OK, thank you for your answer
Message 4 of 8
ravenzep

I have a NVIDIA Titan myself, which is not a quadro, and i m very happy with it. I think of if as a hybrid thing, so it s phenomenal for gaming, which  is its main purpose, i would say, but due to its specs, it s pretty cool for 3D too. I m very satisfied with it, the thing is pretty powerful.

I would rather have this top of the line Gforce, than a low end Quadro, which  i could buy almost for the same price than the Titan.

Stashing 5000 euros on a decent quadro ( I would never buy a 2000-3000 euro quadro, personally I find it no good value for money), is way out of my budget as is for 99% of us people. The titan costs 1000 euros and that s already a lot, for an individuals 3d.

Of course when it comes to a company, it s totally different, and having quadros ends up being a very feasible option. Obviously, it will pay.

My 2 cents !

Message 5 of 8
donest
in reply to: ravenzep

Sounds like a good answer, Raven.
Since it's verified that Raven's card will work, then maybe consider that one if it's a lot cheaper than the quadro. I have used GeForce successfully in the past, but don't know how well they will work with later versions of Alias. If you are into gaming, you will enjoy the GeForce as well.
Message 6 of 8
artem.gruden

I know what TITAN is Okay for iRay, Mental Ray and other rendering systems, but I need to know what's the difference beetween titan and as example the same price Quadro K4000. Comparison. I think 1500$ is the high money for videocard to home use. But still, I thought to myself what I will buy Quadro, it will be with less problems to use. I need card for modeling. For render - of course GTX 780/880 (future) in SLI.
Message 7 of 8
ravenzep

Did you  try to see the specs for each one at Nvidia's homepage?

It s all there, I cant remember now.

Message 8 of 8
artem.gruden

For Inventor & Showcase? Yes, I did.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report