Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

round edges

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
war_kos
575 Views, 5 Replies

round edges

Hey there.
I'm working on several project at the same time on Alias 2012 and in most of them (I didn't had the time to check if this happenned in all of them), whenever I create a Round Edge it doens't hide the actual edge, so I ended up with the round edge beneath the original edge.
How do I solve this?
Please help me, I really neen to fix this, so that I can end my portefolio. Thanks

I'll upload some examples to be easier to understand.

P.s. - on example 3 I've deleted one of the surfaces so you could see what's happening on the inside of the object.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JohnDixon8251
in reply to: war_kos

In the option box for the "Round" tool, is trim type set to automatic? If not, then set it to automatic. If it is and it is not trimming, you need to manually trim the surfaces back. If there are no curves on surface created by the Round tool, then you will need to project the curves onto the surfaces.

Message 3 of 6
ravenzep
in reply to: JohnDixon8251

Anyway that tool is not good, Maybe you should learn how to do it properly with surfaces.

Otherwise use Inventor or a solids modeller.

Message 4 of 6
donest

This happens to me sometimes due to poor alignment of surfaces that do not allow for proper curves on surface to be created. This causes the round to be formed but the surfaces do not trim properly.

Message 5 of 6
ravenzep
in reply to: donest

Hi Donest,

What do you mean by poor alignment? If surfaces are G0, the alignment is not poor, it is G0 and good.

I think you are trying to mean something else.

Regards

Message 6 of 6
donest

For the type of surfacing that I do G0 is not really required. I don't fully understand the different types of surfacing except for tangency and continuity. I don't see either as the problem, at least in my experience. Sorry for my ignorance. The surfaces may be tangent to each other, or continuity may be fine. Sometimes it is an edge length, where one edge is slightly (but not noticeably) shorter or longer, or on a slightly different axis, so the curves on surface do not reach entirely to the end, so a trim can not occur (note his 3rd example). It will build the round surface, but leave the adjacent surfaces untrimmed. In this case, usually, the curves on surface are still evident after performing the operation. That is why sometimes it is best to just trim them manually afterwards instead of trying to figure what might have gone wrong.

As for the settings in the round tool...try it on a simple cube and note the behavior.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report