Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i model this fork 's handle

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
riddickhou
307 Views, 7 Replies

how can i model this fork 's handle

The fork's handle is hard to build for me. Like the tutorial says: the handle is made from two large mono-rail surfaces, intersected, trimmed and then filleted, but i can't model it. Attaching is the picture of fork.Help me.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
digiformer
in reply to: riddickhou

hmm what do you need? A step by step description or just a wire. The modeling is not very hard to do i think but making a "waterproof" tutorial would take a lot of time i actually dont have.

The tutorial are you following is not giving you mor step by step info?

Greetings
tobias
Message 3 of 8
riddickhou

Would you like to sent me a simple wire? I want to study how the two big surface intersecting. Thank you very much.
Message 4 of 8
babak_sanayei

One way you could model that shape is.

Create a sphere and cut it in half, delete one half, then simply push and pull the cv's till you get a nice flowing surface..

Since you started with half a sphere the rounded end cap is naturally taken care of.
Message 5 of 8
design22

I never make a handle in this fashion. But it is interesting. What is the tutorial? I usually create a flat surface that matches the contour of the handle and project the outline of the handle onto that surface to create COS. I then birail the top and birail the back (making sure that the two surfaces are tangent to each other. The flat surface is where the part line would be between the molds or dies.
Message 6 of 8

yeah, that one-surface-approach is good. i have heard from a guy who modeled a full car body with just one sphere, he always inserted iso-parms and moved CV's.
this is a good method to describe "colani-shapes". a normal class a / engineering patchlayout would be too complicated at all. we just have to consider that using multiple span gemoetry ( the "sphere" at the end will have lots of spans) will cause problems with curvature flow. if you feel the need to discuss this, please check those files first with curvature comb plots. you should see the problems on the plots. you will see this even when the part is milled and with chrome (bath appliances, cuttlery). when i remember my time at WMF in germany (with ICEM Surf) it wont be acceptble. but still, it is a good and fast methode to get something done, in NURBS. i understand that as a usefull variation, espescially for stylists.

ciao
Message 7 of 8
babak_sanayei

Yeah its not going to be single span but then again for a fork i think that maybe overkill.

I think its always good to consider the manufacturing process and the actual part, not everything has to be "Class A".
Message 8 of 8
design22

I think it all depends on whether you want to "bang something out" quickly for a concept or whether you need this for manufacturing.
(Still would like to see the tutorial)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report