Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet or round edges

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jms
Participant
4691 Views, 3 Replies

Fillet or round edges

Hi, 

I'm trying to round the corners of my construction, but nothing happens when I select the edge of the surface and type in the radius. I have tried intersecting the surfaces but I am not sure that I'm going about this the right way. I have a link for the file here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/k6p7vk

Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: jms

Hi,

Just by opening your file, and looking at the tolerances you are using, it is easy to see why you cannot use round tool.

Your tolerances are very loose. For example, for gap tolerances, you have set 1 mm. That s huge. Your tolerances are set also to be in meters. They should be set to mm.

You cannot use the round tool, because your edges are not G0, they dont really touch, you dont have positional continuity, which you will need for the round tool.

Set your tolerances to CATIA V5, and retry what you did. You will see you ll get better results. (PREFERENCES/CONSTRUCTION OPTIONS/catiav5.

If you still have problems, or can´t do it, let me know, and we will fix that.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 4
jms
Participant
in reply to: ravenzep

Hi, thank you! I tried changing the settings and it helped. Do you mind me asking, what are the other settings for if it is that imprecise?
Message 4 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: jms

Hi,

If you set your construction options to catia V5, everything will be set for you. You don't need to worry about it anymore.

It' s what I use.

By the way, sometimes alias has some trouble working with this kind of solid modelling technique you just did.

But of course it can be done, but there may be more adequate programs for solid modeling per si. Alias is a free-form surface modeller, basically.

In your particular example, you have to make sure all the edges are G0 between them. The round tool should then work fine.

Any problems, just let me know, and we ll have a look at it .

Note about the settings:

Say, for example, that you have a gap setting of 1mm tolerance. In practice this will mean that if the software measures something that is 0.5 mm, it will give you a G0 result with a green comb, which makes sense. In reality the edges are not G0, and so the round tool will fail, as it ought to.

The other settings are self explanatory really, by looking at the name. They follow the same logic. Have a look at alias wikihelp, and you will find a precise meaning for all of them.

Remember, in alias, you have total control over what you are doing, which is great, but if you order alias to crash against a tree, it will for sure 🙂

Good luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report