Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alias 2010 Mac Display Issue

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
633 Views, 13 Replies

Alias 2010 Mac Display Issue

hello all,

so there seems to be some major graphic bugs with 2010 for mac. a professor at school showed us it on his mac and every single menu / display / window comes up in error initially. it will show a box and maybe only 2 options and if you click away and reopen the menu, then it seems to display fine. it makes it practically unusable.

it was installed on a macbook pro intel, with nvidia 8600 gt which says it is fully supported from autodesk's website of hardware compatibility.

does anyone know whats going on and why?

really disappointed, otherwise, it looks great.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/aliasstudio/qualcharts/alias2010-osx.htm#workstation
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
c3systems
in reply to: Anonymous

I have been evaluating Alias 2010 on Mac for a few days now. I don't have the same problem, but there are serious slowdown issues of shaded interactive display .. But my graphics card geforce 7300gt is only partially supported as per the qualifications chart and there are known limitations. In any case these are my findings.

1, Double sided shading is not active while using pixel shading .. works fine using vertex shading
2, Accurate highlights in Shaded Diagnostic Display slows down the interactivity drastically.
3, Surface Continuity checker slows down after checking a series of edges.
4, Texture while in hardware shaded mode ( pixel) is not as expected.

Apart from that if Hardware Anit-aliasing is used, then the whole program slows down to un-usable levels.

But there are no problems as regards to the UI ( menus and other stuff ) though. Please upgrade to the latest OS X 10.5.6 .. for up to date graphics drivers.. maybe that will solve your problem.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

a few things to check:

- install the latest update from Apple (10.5.6 currently).
- make sure Display properties are set to millions of colors and is running at the native resolution of the laptop.
- ensure that hardware based Anti-Aliasing is disabled (from within Alias go to WindowDisplay->Anti-Alias->Shaded Anti-Alias... Allocate Hardware Anti-Alias Resources on Startup should NOT have a tick box)
- is there enough memory on the system? At least 4GB should be installed but this should not affect the UI as you describe.
- is there a external monitor hooked up to the laptop? If so, try to disable the laptop display by closing the laptop so that only one display is active.

without actually seeing the problem it is difficult to troubleshoot but I can attest that Alias runs well on a 8600GT based MacBook Pro.

Chris
Message 4 of 14
anand_joshi

Rajeev,

Which build of 2010 you are referring to ? Beta ?
Regards

Anand
Message 5 of 14
c3systems

Hi Anand,

Not a beta .. I think .. ALIAS_2010_ESD_MAC_OSX_EN_299039_01 to be precise. The qualifications chart says 7300gt is only partially supported ...

Regards,

rajeev
Message 6 of 14
anand_joshi

Are you using a registered version ?
Regards

Anand
Message 7 of 14
c3systems

Are you suggesting that there is a non-registered version? Please send me your email id .. I can send you my license file for you to verify .. I am part of ADN

In any case, could you be kind enough to explain the relevance of your question to the display issues in Mac?
Message 8 of 14
anand_joshi

Hi Rajeev,

There is no question of verifying, once you clarified that you are the part of ADN.

It would not be Illegitimate to know whether any user is using a registered license or not especially when posting info about Mac and PC simultaneously and on non-beta version 😉

Hope you understand.
Regards

Anand
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I'm having the exact same problem. I own a 15" macbook pro with all the proper specs. Went through your checklist but it's still happening.

other ideas?
Message 10 of 14
kevinRichards

at one point i thought i heard that OSx ships with the energy savings set to "better energy savings" . switching it to "better performance" helps Alias performance.

also if im not mistaken, some of the macbook pros have both discrete and integrated graphics.. maybe the problems are coming from the OS trying to use the integrated graphics.

and at the end of the day, nothing beats a quadroFX card. : )
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Hello to all,

I downloaded a demo of Alias 2010 for Mac to test it on my new iMac with an ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB and 4GB of memory. I can can confirm the issues mentioned in this discussion...

The interface of Alias 2010 looks bad with most of the tool icons and palettes looking jagged and not showing properly. After clicking on a tool the icon sometimes gets right.

I don't seem to have any major issues with the modeling performance. I opened some 3d geometry and their shaded representation is fine. The analysis shade is also correct, with no visible loss in performance.

Perhaps someone from Autodesk can give some hint about what to do to solve this odd irregularities.

I use another 3d software that also has demanding hardware requirements and has antialiasing shade display and it runs very fast on the same computer.

The feeling I'm having with the software is that it was roughly ported to the Mac.
I'm aware of its power but as it is I'm not planning to buy it unless Autodesk put some more effort on the performance of the Mac version.
When you look at it... we are talking of a nurbs modeler. I don't understand why Alias 2010 has such a high and selective hardware requirements. I work daily with nurbs modeling software, with great shade visualization, and don't have any of this problems.

Carlos
Message 12 of 14
chryshiram

Yes, I also can confirm this issue. I have an imac i5 with Radion HD 4850, 4 gb ram. The icons & overall interface just don't seem right. Until this is fixed, i'm using maya 2010.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: chryshiram

Hi I just installed the 2013 Student Version (19.0.0.42 400327) and I also experience this problem.

Anyone found the cause and solution? Seems strange that it still occurs...

Specs:

Macbook Pro 15" early 2011

2GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6490M, 256 MB / Intel HD Graphics 3000

1680x1050 screen

Mac OS 10.6.8

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

I have the same problem in this issue.  I have an imac i5 with Radion HD 4850, 4 gb ram. The icons & overall interface just don't seem right.  CAn you help me?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report