Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D mouse Mac

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1274 Views, 6 Replies

3D mouse Mac

Alias is a great piece of software but could we get some 3D mouse support for Alias for Mac?  That is the biggest hinderence for workflow.  Yes I realize you can use the Windows version but that is what seems like the strangest thing about it.  The Windows version has 3D mouse support but not for the Mac?  I have had some success mapping it but still nothing like native support. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
duartisimo
in reply to: Anonymous

Also wondering about this. Doesn't seem to make sense buying a 3D mouse if it won't work.

Please let me know if you have your answer!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: duartisimo

So far I used the 3D connexion utility to map the zoom in and out to the Space Navigator.  The buttons are used as well, one for fit and the other to bring up the control panel.  You can do mouse and button combinations but its the actual move that I can't get mapped.  It actually works pretty well.  If I need to use it that bad I switch over to bootcamp and use it in that.  3D Connexion has said that it is Autodesk that has to give the ok.  If we can get enough people to say something maybe we can get this important feature put in.

Message 4 of 7
mcolinp

I as well wish to have 3D mouse support in Alias on Mac OSX. I have mannaged to map some things to work fairly well; but it is still quite buggy. It seems the device is often reluctant to "release" it's control authority back to the normal mouse. Which can lead to pauses in navigation using the mouse; or no visible marking menus, etc. This usually requires wiggling the space navigator and checking to see if the Mouse is fully functioning again; obviously a less than desireable situation. 

Here are my settings: I use Emulate Mouse function for all the Axes; and the "Move Mouse" function checked. I also disable Roll Left and Roll Right; as they seem to be an overload on the system without built in support. The "Dominant" Feature I also use as well. The perspective tilt/roll axes are set to emulate a mouse click as press and release with the Command and Shift Modifier keys checked. The more straight up/down/pan are set up using the same basic approach; except you have to pick either right click; or whatever button your mouse uses for a middle click where appropriate to emulate the same actions you would use with a mouse.

Another note: disabling the "Point of Interest" & "Dolly to Mouse" within General Preferences > Viewing; will likely get the best result. Otherwise I find that the point of interest is constanly changing when I don't want it too.

I am with all of you here that want Autodesk to enable 3D mice on OSX.   

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcolinp

I tried your settings and got them to work.  Maybe with more playing we can get it a bit more fluid.  For the zoom in and out I use emulate mouse for pulling the 3d mouse up and down.  Then the actual mouse is scroll down for pulling up and scroll up for pushing down.  (z axis of the 3d mouse)  Click setting is 50 times a sec.  With all of it going it seems to be alot.  Maybe trimming it back to just a few essential moves will speed it up.

Message 6 of 7
mcolinp

I like your scroll for zoom settings. I hadn't tried scroll with the 50 times per second option. Also make sure on the other settings I suggested that you choose "Press & Release" *NOT* "Press & Hold". I found this to be causing the issues with the mouse being spontaneously unresponsive. I wish that there were a way in the 3DConnexion Driver to make certain mouse emulations reversed; to correct for backwards motions using the 3D mouse. I also think if there were a way to make the application think the mouse was moving, without actually moving it graphically; that it would help tremendously to make it behave how we would expect. (Having the mouse get all the way to an edge of the UI creates major issues; often spontaneously resizing the app window.)

Would also be nice if Autodesk gave us the option to map the Titlebar Navigation Tools to 3D Mice; it would likely create the best scenario. The Titlebar nvigation tools treat the Camera more like a professional film rig; with Dynamic Properties that don't apply to normal mouse navigating. 

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcolinp

Ok, I think I have some more that will help.  I switched 3d Mouse Right to Click Button 3, with the same modifiers as before along with press and release.  I also put the thresholds on about half.  I did the above combination for 3D Mouse Right, 3D Mouse Left, 3D Mouse In and 3D Mouse Out.  With those the up/down/left/right feel about right to me.  The zoom is done as discussed before.  3D Mouse Spin Clockwise and Counter-clockwise are with just click, same modifiers and press and release.  The threshold on the clockwise/counter-clockwise is on the 3rd tick mark.  The only one I cannot seem to find a combo to do is the Roll left and right.  I think we about have it, any ideas for roll?  Also I have dominant off.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report