ASE, SQL, OLE, ADE

Distinguished Contributor
chrisb
Message 1 of 3 (25 Views)

Parts List or BOM in Autocad

25 Views, 2 Replies
02-03-2004 09:08 AM
This is one area in AutoCAD about which I know zip, 0, preemptive. I shall, of course, hit the books, but I could use a little pre-emptive advice: 1st, am I correct in gathering that using a database (such as MS Access) is better than using a spreadsheet for handling BOM's? I will have to learn about databases, of course, which I don't mind, but if I should be honing my spreadsheet skills (pretty mediocre at this point) instead, it would be good to know that first. I've seen posts about this subject, and have gotten a clue here & there, but, I think I really should take the `prerequisites', so-to-speak, so I can better understand what I'm reading. My basic aim here is to have a central database that contains all the components of each assembly that we manufacture; structured in a way that an uninitiated office worker can look at it and recognized it as a bill of materials for a particular product. Then, if at some time the assembly gets updated to, say, 32 no. 8 screws, from 24, it can be done from within the dwg, and it updates automatically in the database. I'm sure this is pretty basic to some, but, like I mentioned, in this area, I'm totally clueless- but nevertheless am the only one here who can (he hopes) bring AutoCAD and practical inventory/purchasing/production control together for his (smallish) company. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
-Chris
*Jon Fleming
Message 2 of 3 (25 Views)

Re: Parts List or BOM in Autocad

02-04-2004 05:18 AM in reply to: chrisb
Yes, a real datasbase is beter than Excel for what you want. Read "AutoCAD Database Connectivity", Scott McFarlane, ISBN 0766816400. It has some very good information on how to design the databse, and how to connect to it. -- jrf Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program Please do not email questions unless you wish to hire my services In article <31199044.1075828119898.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com>, Chrisb wrote: > This is one area in AutoCAD about which I know zip, 0, preemptive. I > shall, of > course, hit the books, but I could use a little > pre-emptive advice: 1st, am I > correct in gathering that using a > database (such as MS Access) is better than using > a spreadsheet > for handling BOM's? I will have to learn about databases, of course, > > which I don't mind, but if I should be honing my spreadsheet skills > (pretty mediocre > at this point) instead, it would be good to know > that first. I've seen posts about > this subject, and have gotten a > clue here & there, but, I think I really should take > the > `prerequisites', so-to-speak, so I can better understand what I'm > reading. My > basic aim here is to have a central database that > contains all the components of > each assembly that we manufacture; > structured in a way that an uninitiated office > worker can look at > it and recognized it as a bill of materials for a particular > > product. Then, if at some time the assembly gets updated to, say, 32 > no. 8 screws, > from 24, it can be done from within the dwg, and it > updates automatically in the > database. I'm sure this is pretty > basic to some, but, like I mentioned, in this > area, I'm totally > clueless- but nevertheless am the only one here who can (he hopes) > > bring AutoCAD and practical inventory/purchasing/production control > together for his > (smallish) company. Any pointers would be greatly > appreciated, thanks. > -Chris >
Distinguished Contributor
chrisb
Message 3 of 3 (25 Views)

Re: Parts List or BOM in Autocad

02-04-2004 11:15 AM in reply to: chrisb
Ok, thanks, I was afraid of that (I figured a database was the way to go, and it means I 1st have to learn about them - this may be why I've read a lot of posts wherein spreadsheets are used, instead - at least that way the data is organized, and there's no major learning curve to hold things up). I want to know about databases (MS Access, for starters) for my own purposes, anyway, so I'll study it on my own. Sigh. OK, time to hold my nose, and dive in (anybody know how to stop Time?).

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community