AREA Website Support Forum
This section is for questions on the use of the AREA website or reporting website issues. This area is not for Autodesk software support issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MatchMover Forum?

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
samab
861 Views, 35 Replies

MatchMover Forum?

Is there any chance of one being added to The Area? There are probably a few new users (me for one) since it has been put on the subscription site. No-one seems to know where to post questions about it.
click
Click
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: samab

I can see that the majority is voting for "Yes"
I guess the AREA should do a forum for match mover...whatever that is 😛
Message 3 of 36
valenRedBull

It would be great to have a MatchMover section. I'm trying to learn it but the tutorials it ships with seem to have a lot of errors and type-o's which are not very helpful.

For example...

Try doing the "Lesson 2: Using supervised tracking" tutorial. As soon as you get to the "Adding tracking points" section, you start to see problems. After you do step (2) it says "the tracking begins then stop around frame 15..." But there is no "tracking" that begins because you didn't do anything in step (2) that would cause tracking to begin. But let's ignore that and move on. When you get down to step (8) it says to use step-tracking by pressing+, but this does nothing. The whole tutorial from that point on is useless because you can't get past step (8). But hey - if I'm doing something wrong in the tutorial then please let me know because I'd love to be able to complete it. It just seems so obvious that this needs to be fixed, so maybe it really is ok and I'm just doing something wrong...?
Message 4 of 36
Steve_Curley

Seems sensible to me.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 36
probedroid

The tutorials from the helpfile also state MM could load AVI-files and it's also shown in the screenshots. The version from Max subscription doesn't allow it, though. And that's just one of the questions i'd like to ask, so a matchmover forum would be due i guess. ImageModeler has one, too. So it would make sense.
Message 6 of 36
probedroid

I wonder if Matchmover will be discontinued. It seems it won't be available for much longer as a standalone app, being available for subscription customers only at this time. My hopes are the technology will be implemented into Composite for Max/Maya. That might be a reason why there's no explicit Matchmover forum on the area.

For anyone looking for information on MM for the time being there's the online help which answers some of the questions that arise (though it doesn't seem to be up to date with the current version). Another great source i have found is the book "Matchmoving: The Invisible Art of Camera Tracking" by Tim Dobbert. It's about matchmoving in general, but most of the examples directly refer to Matchmover. That's probably the most in-depth and production-proven info you can get on the software right now.
Message 7 of 36
Anonymous

I've found that the 64 bit version does not work with the tutorial files very well. Doing the 2nd tutorial with Shot_tracked.mmf, it will only eat up memory, but not load the scene. Got up to 2gb used until I forced quit it. Opened it in the 32 bit version, it loaded almost instantly and seems to work fine so far.

Also, for those wondering about AVI or MOV export, those are 32 bit codecs. You have to have them installed on your machine for them to output to them. MatchMover DOES NOT come with codecs. Example: Since QuickTime is still a 32 bit app, so you will only be able to create an MOV with the 32 bit version.
Message 8 of 36
probedroid

So how come there's no AVI import like shown in the manual? There are several codecs installed on my machine. I only used the 32bit version up till now.
Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: probedroid

Try this polytrauma. Autodesk has given a ghetto workaround of importing AVI into 64bit. Also sounds like a fix will be coming.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14858811&linkID=9242258&CMP=OTC-RSS...

I did not realize AVI was ready for 64 bit, or that a 64 bit app could read a 32 bit codec, or if codecs have any bias to either (which is it, I don't know)?

I would think you'd have more luck using uncompressed image sequences than an AVI anyway. Aren't uncompressed AVI extremely slow?
Message 10 of 36
samab

The thread seems to be acting as a makeshift MM forum. Just thought I would point out in case you have not noticed that there is a new MM 2011 version available on the subscription site, it has not been widely publicised. I have no idea what is new in the new version.
Also Louis Marcoux has done some MM tutorials.
Message 11 of 36
probedroid

@BadBullet: Thx, that's easy. In production I only use image sequences, but I ran into the AVI-issue while trying out MM. And since the manual said it's possible I started wondering.

@Samab: Oh, nice, haven't checked yet. Thx for pointing this out.
Message 12 of 36
jens.diemer
in reply to: probedroid

This happends with MatchMover 2011 64Bit, too.
Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Message 13 of 36
JSeaver

Autodesk...do you want interest in MatchMover to grow? Would you like to foster an environment for discussion about MM present and future? Well, it begins by not IGNORING requests for a MM forum for at least 2 years! Duh!

So, just exactly what is the problem with creating the forum that people have been asking about for several years now?

Corporate costs don't allow for the extra $1.25/yr in expenses for MM clients? I will gladly donate $5.00 to support the disk space requirements for the next 2 or more years.

Shame on you Autodesk. I have seen several moderator queries for a possible forum. Each time they have been enthusiastically greeted by people, and yet, no forum exists.

<Insert dubious and predictable corporate response here>
Message 14 of 36
JSeaver

So, the current vote is 58 yes...and 3 would not be bothered by the existence of a MM forum.

First of all, I am glad that 3 people on the planet would not be bothered by an MM forum.

Secondly...ummm...58 interested users? Time to look for a new MM product. Of course, Autodesk's response to the forum request for one of their own products did not help.
Message 15 of 36
SuperCoon

I'm really in favor of having a Match Mover forum; particularly since Match Mover 2011 x64 installs but will not launch... :&#41; Either way, all of my indirect comments aside, I'm totally new to Match Mover & a dedicated support forum would be awesome; truly, I'm just really happy that something finally replaced the way outdated Camera Tracker that has been in Max forever - thanks Autodesk.
Message 16 of 36
probedroid

I'm quite disappointed this doesn't get any attention from AD, although it's been pointed out at several instances on the Area and been reported to customer support. If at least someone would clearly say there won't be an MM forum on the Area the community might take things in their own hands. But I don't see why that would be necessary.
Message 17 of 36
SuperCoon

Why would anyone be against a MM forum? Especially Autodesk because it's their product. One would think that if anything they &#40;Autodesk&#41; would be all for it.
Message 18 of 36
simonparish

come on AD, how do you expect people to learn and use the stuff you give away if you don't support it. Let's have forum PLEASE and we'll support and teach ourselves. thanks
Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
I need a new signature
--
Max2017.1 | Vray 3.70.01| win11
ASUS Z790PLUS | i9 13900K | 64Gb RAM | Geforce GTX4070ti
Message 19 of 36
simonparish
in reply to: simonparish

Is it possible to load a sequence from a network drive in MM2011? Can't seem to select anything but local drives? I'm guessing it's because network drives would be too slow &#40;maybe&#41; or just an oversight in the coding team??
Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
I need a new signature
--
Max2017.1 | Vray 3.70.01| win11
ASUS Z790PLUS | i9 13900K | 64Gb RAM | Geforce GTX4070ti
Message 20 of 36
samab
in reply to: simonparish

Network drives are working OK here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report