Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendered output is offset from background

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ahD9RBG
1337 Views, 4 Replies

Rendered output is offset from background

Good evening.

I am using a background image to align some geometry to a matched camera. The issue I am having is come render time, the geometry is offset from the image. This occurs if I use the environment map to render the BG or render just the geometry and overlay that onto the original BG image.

Here is some imagery to better explain...

Viewport 01.pngOverlay 03.png

Is this an issue that is always present, and I have just never noticed it before? I have used mental ray, and default scanline to render and the same issue arises.

I am using Max 2016. I have also attached the scene file.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

-A

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
darawork
in reply to: ahD9RBG

Hi,

In your viewport have you activated 'Safe Frames'?

[Shift] + F

This will show you what the rendering widow output size / proportion will look like:

http://www.3dmax-tutorials.com/idh_vpconfig_safeframe_page.html

If you have it turned off, you will notice a visable shift when you turn it on.

You should also check that you have set the viewport background to match the rending output:

Untitled.png

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 5
ahD9RBG
in reply to: darawork

Hello again. 

Sorry to have dropped off after this reply, however I have revisited this issue and there has not yet been an adequate solution. I have done some digging,  and contacted some colleagues who have run into the same issue. 

Safe frames has no effect on this issue if it is on or off. 

The viewport resolution has been set to match rendering output (set to the image resolution), or bitmap resolution.

Mental ray,  and scanline has the same issue. Same thing pops up if I render just the geometry and overlay it in Photoshop,  or if I render the background inside 3ds.

This may be the first time I have noticed it, but a colleague has said this issue arose for them after updating from 3ds 2012.

Is there a discrepancy in viewport and how it displays the background against how the renderer processes the same background? Is the offset in the viewport or is it in the rendered output? 

Thanks again, 

-A

Message 4 of 5

I am using Max 2016 in production, never seen this problem.

Just be sure that setup your viewport to match the photograph size, then place a camera that match the real camera that took the picture, set lens size and all that.

then be sure that you are working with the safe frame as mentioned by @darawork.  always matching the photogrpah size.

Set your render output to the exact size of your photograph, everything should work accordingly.

Be sure you are rendering from the camera and not from perspecive view and also be sure your camera does not have any til correction unless you are using it to match your photograph

Message 5 of 5

After some conferencing with colleagues, I finally figured out the issue. 

When I first ironed out my workflow for this,  I was either unaware or the 2D Pan Zoom feature wasn't yet implemented. The only way I could find to zoom into a background image without destroying the camera/geometry relationship was to use the Virtual viewport in the OpenGL display driver. 

I have done it the same since,  and missed the Nitrous feature of 2D Pan zoom.

The offset is only present in the viewport when OpenGL is the display driver.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report