Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slice plane problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
4046 Views, 4 Replies

Slice plane problem

Hi there.

I'm having a small but hugely irritating problem! I'm creating different wooden decorations for some walls and they need a 45 degree cut in the corners. When i use the rotation tool on the slice plane 0, 90 and 180 degrees works correct BUT 45 is not equally between 0 and 90. I have to be around 67,5 or so and it's still not correct! I have used it earlier with the same workaround and it worked correctly but now...
Here's what i'm doing:

1) I create a spline with the "line" tool.

2) I add the extrude modifier with f.ex. 50 cm.

3) I then convert it to an editable poly.

4) I turn on the slice plane to cut the end of in a 45 degree angle and then..... 😞

Any qualified guess is very welcome and i will be deeply grateful - thankyou!

BR
Henrik Mark
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
valenRedBull
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you upload some images or your scene file?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

You should post your own example file(zipped) in this case, since I think there is more to it then the steps you provided. In the mean time, try pressing the Reset Plane button, see if that helps. As for the steps you provided, I get a 45 degree cut every time. The only way I can make it not work is if I rotate the object in sub-object mode, then it will still be a 45 degree cut in world space, but not object space. You could adjust the pivot so it's got the same rotation as your object, then use the slice plane and reset plane, see if that works.

MP
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Hi both of you and thank you!

It used to work for me also but then i must have messed something up.
However i created a new scene with all my objects and now it works right again!

I'm usually hanging on to find a solution for my problems but after 3 hours i thought it was time to bring in help from outside 🙂

It's hard to be a novice but d*** exciting as well - you'll probably hear from me again 🙂

Thanks again!

-Henrik
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hello,

I ran into the same problem, I must say it's a very very frustrating issue !! And finally I ended up here...

So after long minutes of brain masturbation, I just realised that I had used the scale tool on only one axis in the object space, so in sub-object space, 45° was distorded...

Solution for the next to come here with the same problem : Reset XForm !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report