Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 7 and Welding Vertex's....Not working, Why?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
zbradley
10324 Views, 13 Replies

3ds Max 7 and Welding Vertex's....Not working, Why?

I and been trying to figure this out for some time now, but i can't seem to get it. I am trying to weld two vertex's together but they just won't budge. Yes the vertex counter says "2 Vertices Selected" and yes i am presses the "Weld" button and yes i have tried to use "Target Weld" and that did not work ether. And the 2 Vertices belong to the same object so it is not possible to use the "Boolean" Feature of 3ds max because the objects would have to different to use the "Boolean" Feature but in my case they are within the same object. So what do i do now? I have exhausted all the ideas and thoughts that i could possibly try. The only thing that i can think of right now is that that 3ds max 7 won't weld because one of the Vertices belongs to a closed face. Could that be my problem? And if so how do i fix that? Or is there a script that overrides that feature? The 3ds max project i am working on is for school, so i hope someone can reply back to my post quickly, so that it won't be late.

Thank for help in advance

The Caped Wanderer
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Steve_Curley
in reply to: zbradley

Easy one - you can only weld vertices when the edge between them only has a poly on one side of it.

The edges in the left image clearly only have a poly on one side of them, but on the right the edge in the middle has a poly on both sides and its vertices will not weld.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 14
zbradley

Easy one - you can only weld vertices when the edge between them only has a poly on one side of it.

The edges in the left image clearly only have a poly on one side of them, but on the right the edge in the middle has a poly on both sides and its vertices will not weld.

Here is a picture of what i am trying to do. I hope this will help you better understand what i am trying to do when i get the problem i am having.

Any Ideas?

Message 4 of 14
Steve_Curley

You are trying to create a "T" junction where the polys meet and that is not possible.

You have "lone" vertices in the middle of edges but having no edges between them, which is not best practice and can cause you problems later on. Try to avoid them if at all possible. Note that even if you had edges between them they still wouldn't weld.

Create edges between those isolated vertices, then delete the polys which are "behind" those on the right - then the vertices will weld.

If you can't see what I mean, zip the scene and attach it and I'll change it so you can see the changes needed.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 14

Here is one for you. I am trying to target weld a seam from a cloth modifer. I can only target weld ever other set of verts. Can someone please tell me why? I have select the 3 sets of verts so you can see. The upper and lower target welded great. The two at the gismo will not.

Thank you

http://gyazo.com/5eeb5150373abe742d0a472719063257

Message 6 of 14

Not without seeing the object first hand. Save the scene as a new filename and remove everything but that model, then Zip that scene and attach it to a reply (rather than linking to it) - someone will take a look for you.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 14

Thanks here is the zipped file.

Message 8 of 14

Thanks for posting the scene - makes diagnosis much easier.
Half of the object is inside out. In the Edit Poly modifier, Element SubObjects, Ctrl+A (Select All). Note that half of it is bright red and half of it is dull/darker red on the outside (that dull red denotes backfaces of the polys). Select just the dull/dark half (actually the rear of the trousers, not the front) then click Flip on the Edit Elements rollout. You should then be able to Weld or Target Weld those vertices.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 14

Super sweet!!!! Thank you very much! I have had trouble with this for a very long time!

Message 10 of 14

You're welcome 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 11 of 14

I do not know how to create a new post so hopefully this will work here. I think I have a great suggestion for Autodesk. How about having the bones highlight in color strength as verts are selected. This way we don’t have to trial an error until we find the influencing bone. Unless someone can steer me to a method I could be missing here. Thanks in advance!

Message 12 of 14

The rather large "Create a New Post" button, just above the thread listing.

Also, suggestions are posted elsewhere - specifically the MaxFeedback site - you should probably post over there.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 13 of 14

I must be blind this morning lol dont see it. http://gyazo.com/f76bbb66a5fc0a04523ce41d32cb6970

Message 14 of 14

oop found it. You have to go back to the thread begining.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report