Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair and Fur like Xgen in Maya

Hair and Fur like Xgen in Maya

3ds Max needs a decent Hair and Fur like Xgen in Maya.

27 Comments

absolutely

jaboone
Advocate

+1.   Make it procedural for distance like grass on a lawn.  Multi-functional.

loganfoster
Advocate

100% yes. The existing Joe Alter tech in 3DS Max is so very behind in both its UX and features.

michael_spaw
Autodesk

+1

-Michael

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

This would be very interesting...please, Autodesk.
Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

To be frank, the Scanline Hair&Fur is okay, until you get the the overall appearance and how it's processed. Even Mental Ray's Hair&Fur looks much better than the integrated engine inside of 3ds Max. If they also find a way to improve Hair&Fur withing the ART render engine, it'll be a go-to for a lot of people who want to do ultra-realistic stills of characters.

markus
Advocate

This is needed badly for all kinds of character work in 3dsmax! I haven't tested Xgen since I'm not a Maya user, but from what I see people are producing nice things with it! 

Ornatrix and Hairfarm look like good plugins that can fill the void, but it would be good to have something better than Joe Alter included the basic 3dsmax platform! 

I dont know who is Joe alter but Max really needs a new haircut lol
ar2sun3d
Enthusiast

I hope so

10DSpace
Advisor

I am not sure how xfrog works, but the current hair & fur interface is buggy, awkward to control and difficult to achieve good results with.  So any improvements in these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We absolutely need Xgen to max ! hair and fur is extremely bad ..no uniform distribution.. random scale is broken making the hairs tip ****ed up etc. interpolation between guidesis very bad etc.

Xgen is the best hair solution by far, need only a few guides since the interpolation is great ! clumping tools are great etc plus the live suclpt, it's great ! 

We need this badly in max please... for all the years we had bad hair solution... it should be a top priority ! 

Thank you

RGhost77
Advisor

Yeah, H&F outdated and mostly broken. Here thread with H&F bugs: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/hair-and-fur-bugs/m-p/7969744#M158627

markus
Advocate

Blender has a beautiful particle hair system. It is lightyears ahead of the horrible hair and fur modifier in 3dsmax. You have much better control over styling compared to 3dsmax's unstable, uncontrollable mess. Guides aren't limited to the vertices of your mesh. You can create control over things like curls etc. It's worth a look if you haven't seen it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpVyTc_72z0

If 3dsmax hair was up to the same level I would probably be more than happy!

10DSpace
Advisor

@markus 

Thanks for posting the link to Blender Hair functions.  I had not seen that it and looks very good.  I will play with this.  As this topic is still just "Under Future Consideration" and topics with "Accepted" status have not been implemented for several years, I guess this is not going to happen soon, which is a shame.  In the interim, is there any way you know of to export something useful from the results of Blender Hair into Max that could be integrated into a Max scene?    I certainly would prefer a total Max solution but I am coming up this year on needing an effective Hair solution for many characters and have to be practical. 

markus
Advocate

@10DSpace Yes, you can in Blender convert the particles to mesh. The mesh in will be a series of vertices connected by edges, so basically linear splines with many steps. That can again be converted to splines which can be imported in 3dsmax and used as guides for hair and fur. I tested it with the model provided in that Youtube video. Still, I don't think you will be able to exactly recreate the hairstyle with Hair and Fur, since the modifier doesn't have all the same styling options as Blender.

I also think you might be able to create polygonal hair strips the way you would for games and realtime engines, but I'm not 100% sure yet. 

(edit: I found an addon that might be helpful if you want to create Uv mapped mesh hairstrips from particle hair https://blenderartists.org/t/generate-mesh-from-hair-with-uvs-c/653183)

10DSpace
Advisor

@markus 

Great.  Thanks for the very useful additional information.  I have done something similar with guide hairs from Zbrush and it worked reasonably well, but as you say, you can never quite get the same hair style in max.  It's been a while since I've used it, but I think one major flaw in Hair and Fur (beyond the clunky grooming tools) is the inflexible interpolation between splines.   For distant shots and if you don't need the hair to move naturally, the polygonal strips can work, so I'll check out the link to the Blender addon.  Thanks again.  

I still havent played with or used any hair/grooming system now. I dont intend to use the Hair and fur modifier for Creating character hair style and such.  I think I might need to use it for the hair crest (I think its horse hair) of some historical helmets like thesse Hellenistic ones.  Can I get very realistic results with the current hair and fur modifier ? It is easier to use than Maya Xgen ?

ddcc66b24373ffc46406d7eb13a0c9e2

51mVhuIqr7L._AC_SX425_

RGhost77
Advisor
@brentscannell After Epic acquired Shave and Haircut (in Max named Hair and fur) I want to know what would be future of hair in 3ds Max? H&F mostly broken, no words about hair in road map...
mrkeefy
Participant

Changed to future consideration back in 2017!

I have just added another request for this in the hope that somebody at autodesk may be listening, it would seem that this has not been listened too and once again the competition is leaving max in the dust. Its genuinely worrying that a single developer can rewrite the entire Pflow system and make it 100 times better. Is Autodesk just hoping that someone will come along and do their work for them? Or that we will splash out on expensive 3rd party solutions? Perhaps an Autodesk employee can respond to this and answer why nothing has been done for 3 years. Looking forward to your response! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report