Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't display that green ball when zooming in with "Zoom About Mouse Point" off

Don't display that green ball when zooming in with "Zoom About Mouse Point" off

Hi.

When zooming in using Ctrl + Alt + mouse movement, in 3ds Max 2017, a green ball appears on the screen: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/green-orb-gizmo-when-zooming-in-3ds-max-2017/m-p/6820724

That green ball shouldn't be there if you turn off "Zoom About Mouse Point" (for both perspective and orthographic views, from "Customize - Customize User Interface - Mouse"). It's distracting. And why green? It's garish and ugly. Doesn't even fit with the new turquoise "look".

9 Comments
redipsd
Enthusiast

At the very least, there should be an option not to display it. I find it disruptive to the workflow.

A checkbox in "Customize - Customize User Interface - Mouse" would suffice, or some kind of setting in an .ini file, anything.

redipsd
Enthusiast

Sometimes it takes up the whole screen and it's very distracting:

Please include an option to disable it in the next service pack. Thank you.

friedric.p
Explorer

I would also like an option to hide/disable that green thing, for performances reasons. When you work with very high poly models from zbrush or mudbox, that green thing cause a little lag everytime you zoom, because max needs a few milliseconds to place it on the surface you are zooming.

I don't have that lag with the mousewheel zoom, nor in previous versions (like 2016). It is pretty disturbing because otherwise the viewport is at constant 200 fps, and that lag becomes really eye tiring after a while.

Thanks.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

revel68
Advocate

Would like an option to disable/enable this.   I could see liking it if i had a very large scene for a 3d illustration where I need to just navigate about to spots. But I mostly use 3dsmax for game character work.  This means I can be in close on a characters face and sometimes while team is looking over shoulder giving critique. I prefer to have as litlte distraction as possible while I check angles of the model.  

In general more and more I want to just see the art of a character and check look and proportions and surfacing.  My worry is the sphere can be distracting to this process.  Imagine zooming in very close on a face where your Lead artist is talking about the details of a humans eye and having you navigate around to see if the sides of the eye is pushed too far back or if the eye is too wide etc...  having the green sphere popping up will be distracting.

Thanks

redipsd
Enthusiast

Here's hoping there will be a checkbox to disable it in a future service pack.

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to add it in the first place...

Maybe there's a reason why other programs don't have anything as "innovative" as this. If you take a look at ZBrush or Substance Painter, they also have this "zoom in where your mouse cursor is", but they don't show you a placeholder green friggen ball!

andrew.kincaidFGLUE
Contributor

There doesn't seem to be a way to turn this off in 2018 either, is there an option somewhere, I would really like to remove this green ball from the interface every time I zoom in or out, it is very distracting. 

andrew.kincaidFGLUE
Contributor

Got a reply on another thread that seems to have fixed the issue

RGhost77

in reply to: Rank
Re: Green orb gizmo when zooming in 3ds max 2017

Just remove AutoCamMax.gup from x:\3ds max\stdplugs . It will remove from Max all ****ty "tools" like Viewcube, Green Orb gizmo, SteeringWheels...

In my experience it will makes Max much more stable. I always remove it after since it was first time  introduced.

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com

overlapot
Observer

Thanks man ❤️

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report