Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport Opacity Glitch

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jordy.devoldere
7304 Views, 12 Replies

Viewport Opacity Glitch

Video illustrating the problem: https://gfycat.com/FancyFittingGrayling

How do I fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hello @jordy.devoldere and welcome to the community,

The first thing I would suggest is trying a different display driver in 3ds Max, such as DX9.  Some 3rd party shaders aren't fully compatible with viewport transparency, and some people are having occasional issues with Nitrous 11 but that's usually in high quality mode though in your movie I can see you are in standard.   Which graphics card are you using?  Also, which type of material is that?  Does that object have 'backface cull' enabled?  (Curious.)  Thank you for the information.  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 13

I like to report similar problems. I've been battling with these problems for a while and personally I found to ignore them. But, honestly, I rely on the view port to at least tell me what the render is going to be seeing without all the added shading and all that.

It gets frustrating when there is one huge thing I am missing because I just have transparencies disabled. Lemme tell you, it can really get annoying. 

Here is the extend of the problem, I choose to show case it with what I am working with now. Third party models, but in general it should not have any other problems. Its perfectly solid, normal are correct, using everything standard and default.

This is how it should look normally

Yet, I enable transparency (other parts of the model requires it)

Gets absolutely more extreme when the models are bigger.

Now I actually use V-RAY and I notice more problems with it as well, such as transparencies outright not working. Might be a V-Ray problem though, however strangely, in standard, it works properly, but once again the object sorting is wrong!

But these images where with the "standard" on "standard" shading. There is obviously a problem with standard shading, as I wish not to be using High Quality as it can slow down work.

I wish to state I only been having these problems since upgrading. 2016 worked properly with nitrious. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lastly, I wonder if I can add in another problem.... it has to to with the composition map and UV Channels.

This is especially true when I am rendering out eyes, on models that have different parts of the eyes on different UV's.

UV 1 is normally the eye whites, UV 2 is the Iris, while UV 3 is the highlights. I use a composition map now (after figuring out the view-ports are completely wrong) but they require me to check out the rendering or use active shade to even determine if they work properly.

Here how they look in viewport.

Once rendered, they look like this.

Not the right size, shape or anything. I feel like this is a minor problem, but a problem nonetheless. Is there a solution, or a reason why it works like this? I learned to work around it of course but it does get tedious. Those test also where with out of the box standard stuff. No 3rd party anything. Though on V-Ray they work exactly the same as expected.

Message 4 of 13

Strangely enough I fixed it by putting the viewport in high quality mode instead of standard. I'm using a M2000M.

And since it's a one-sided material, I assume backface culling is enabled?

Message 5 of 13

Hello @jordy.devoldere,

What kind of material was it?  I don't have a lot of info to go on here, but I'm happy to answer your questions if I can.  Backface culling is an object property, so if you want it you can right click on an object and select "Properties" and then "Backface Cull".  

@mike.s.nickerson,

Generally speaking it's best to start a new thread per issue.  Did you try my suggestions in my previous post about using DX9?  What happened when you tried that?  What graphics card are you using?  What service pack are you on?  What material type are you using?  Normal Vray materials should work in the viewport but blend materials are not supported in high quality yet, from what I understand.  It's something you'd have to ask about on the Chaosgroup forums.  Which version of Vray are you using?  Is backface cull on?  Do you have a file I could test?  There's no way for me to help with much of this without something to investigate, so if you could make a simple file with the problem at attach it, that would be great.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 13

@Alfred.DeFlaminis

I can answer all those questions actually since I've been dealing with the issue.

Graphics card: Nvidia 980Ti, however I don't see it as a problem as on 2016 I never had the issue, it seems to be a 3DS Max problem, though I only say this as 3DS MAX 2016 continues to work just fine.

DX9 didn't appear to fix the issue, once again its a factor that did not change the outcome. An educated guess tells me its the "Object Sorting" fault for transparencies, in the per-veiw view-port settings. 

Service Pack: Latest update, which I think is 2. I use a student version of 3DS Max, and always keep up to date. I know that because I try to update it everyday.

I used the standard material (I said this already) Standard material with a standard opacity map. White for visible, black for not. It simply would not order the objects properly on standard mode, but of course on high quality, its all fine and dandy my friend.

The object does not have back face cull on it, and also, the option does not affect it what so ever. The object sorting is completely wrong regardless how I dress it.

Message 7 of 13

Hello @mike.s.nickerson,

Are you on DX9 or DX11?  Do you have better luck with DX9 if on DX11?  The latest SP for 2017 is Sp4, called Update1.  (We now call them updates instead of service packs.) 

I have a screenshot below emulating this with a checker opacity and I'm not having the same problem, so I wonder if your graphics drivers need to be updated or I more likely am constructing this incorrectly.  If possible, is there a simple scene you can attach the shows the problem?  I may not be recreating it properly.  Thank you.  

opacity.png

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 13

Before I go to much into detail, there is a few things I want to point out. 

Turns out, I was not using Update 1. In-fact my desktop app tool never gave me the update. I have no idea why it never came to me, but it never did. I had to go to the account management to download and install it, though once I did, nothing has changed. It was not due to updates it seems.

Now I am going to post 4 proof's that I am not only using DX11, but that I also have my graphics card updated to the max, and the update 1 pack installed.

Proof1.pngProof2.pngProof3.pngProof4.png

My autodesk should be now updated and all that, and backface culling does not change anything.

Using YOUR example, I decided to see if it would load up and work for me, and it does not....

With Standard.pngWith High Quality.png

Though as you can see with the second image, it does, but with High Quality. In a scene like this, it really doesn't affect me much, but once you get into big scenes the high quality begins to lag and all that, so I would like standard to work as it should in standard.Upon doing this test, I switched to DX9 to see if that affects it, and by golly, it actually fixed itself!

DX9.png

(DX9 with Standard)

Or so I thought, upon loading the example I have posted here, the problem still persistsDX9 Bowser.png

So I have no idea how to really explain this, and I even have some minor practice in trouble shooting. I figured my DX11 stuff could be outdated, but I just confirmed I got the latest, and it all works as it should. Other notes I should be making is that I use Windows 10, if that makes a difference.

Play with the stuff I sent you, and I do hope you see the problem as well. Now YES i can apply the opacity texture ONLY to the hairs that need it, but I feel that is unnecessary, when it can work without me having to circumvent problems. I have no idea what else I can provide to you, only that I hope what I sent and told you helped fix a problem.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 13

Hello @mike.s.nickerson,

Thank you for the detailed description and the file, this helps so much!  I opened the file and immediately got exactly what you are describing.  We have a bug logged with backface cull and opacity, but I'm glad to say this isn't that.  I think the issue is the rendering level is too basic to sort this properly, but the fix is easy.  

Can you please try to increase the rendering level as shown in my screenshot below?  This fixed the problem for me right away, and I'd like to see if it also helped you.  Thanks so much for trying that!  (Press Ok once you've changed to advanced.)  

per view.png

Advanced.png

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 13

Can confirm it does work that way. It doesn't seem to have the same impact as High Quality so thats good. Still, I am pretty sure this is a problem so I hope to see a fix from it soon. I ain't the only one experiencing it. 

Thanks!

Message 11 of 13

Message 12 of 13

Backface culling was turned off. Turning it on didn't really affect the problem.

And yes, I don't have the issue on the DX9 driver, only on the nitrous drivers.

I'm using the M2000M graphics card. I'm running 3DS Max 2017 service pack 2.

I'm using a standard material as material type. And how can I find which version of vray I'm using?

I've added the file in question to the attachment.

Message 13 of 13

Hello @jordy.devoldere,

Technically DX9 is still nitrous, it's just not DX11 nitrous.  You can check your Vray version in the F10->Vray->About Vray tab.  However that's not important if you're not using it to render.  Since these are standard materials, you probably aren't using it to render.  

When I check your file it looks pretty right to me, can you please post a screenshot and circle the areas that are wrong, please?  Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report