Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--Unknown property: "getMenu"in undefined

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
5947 Views, 10 Replies

--Unknown property: "getMenu"in undefined

Anyone had this error i cant find any solutions at all . --Unknown property: "getMenu"in undefined then it says --Unknown property: "numItems"in undefined then crashes .. it was fine all day now this any ideas would be helpful
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
focomoso
in reply to: Anonymous

What were you doing when you got this error? What version of max on what os? What plugins installed? Were you using any scripts?
Message 3 of 11
lwjacob

You should try turning your UI back to the default.
Message 4 of 11
Daddy OH
in reply to: lwjacob

Any resolve on this issue? I'm having the same problem.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Unknown property: "getMenu" in undefined

Well, I have, and it means max will not start up correctly. After many hours trying to locate the problem I found the cause. The max default .mnu file got corrupted.

Go into your user settings folder (If your not aware of this folder, max creates this for you and all your local settings are stored here.) This folder is slightly different on different operating systems. I am running Vista (Don't ask why, but it runs fine)

User Settings Folder - C:\Users\fredr\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2011 - 32bit\enu\UI

Once there, simply delete your MaxStartUI.mnu. Next time you start max, it will notice the missing file and pull one from the program files location. I have saved my .mnu file now so that when this happens again. (And I'm sure it will...) I'll have it ready.

All above are the words of Ruff.Big thnx to him,as it solved the problem for me.
In my case(Windows 7) it was: "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2011 - 64bit\enu\UI"

Original Source:

http://ruffstuff.squarespace.com/journal/3ds-max-doesnt-start-unknown-property-getmenu.html
Message 6 of 11
climax3d

Deleting the Maxstartui.mnu Worked fine for x64 as well.

Thank you very much!
Message 7 of 11
fredr
in reply to: climax3d

Just to add to this, if you remove that maxStatUI.mnu and it doesn't work, check the .mnu file in the main program files\autodesk\max\ui folder. I think it looks there for that file also.

I usually replace my 64 bit maxStartUI.mnu with the 32 bit one and it fixes it.

Fred
Message 8 of 11
iskon

Thank you guys for solving this.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

problem solved, thanks a lot!
Message 10 of 11
philipinnovation

I'm getting the same error on 3ds max 2014, but can't locate the file. Does anyone know where this file is on windows 8 for 3ds max 2014?

Message 11 of 11

I got it fixed by Autodesk on my Windows 8.1! The file I could not locate was hidden! So make sure all Hidden Items is always ticked in windows 8. Very silly function of windows 8.1. That showed my ENU folder which the guy renamed to ENU_old. Got it sorted via teamviewer from Germany, sitting in South-Africa. Pretty Cool..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report