Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"coCreateInstance() failed" error when skin modifier applied

37 REPLIES 37
SOLVED
Message 1 of 38
steve
9362 Views, 37 Replies

"coCreateInstance() failed" error when skin modifier applied

I have a mesh that I applied a skin modifier onto it.

coCreateInstance() failed
Please check your registry entries
CLSID{F088EA74-2E87-11D3-BIF3-00C0F03C37D3} and make sure you are logged in as an administrator.

I am logged in as an administrator.

3DS Max 2011 Design 32 bit.
37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
lightcube
in reply to: steve

I've run into this very same problem in Max 2015.

The things I've done the the system since the last time I used Skin a couple weeks ago:

1) Updated Max 2015 to SP2

2) Uninstalled 3ds Max 2010-2011

Now I get this error for Skin in Max.

I found this thread and hoped to fix with the commands listed above, but in Max 2015, there is no components.dll in the root folder.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 22 of 38
aon.914858227
in reply to: lightcube

Yes, uninstalling a previous version of 3dsmax causes a unregister of this OLE-component.

You need to register it again using regsvr32.exe. It`s called 'MaxComponents.dll' however and you can

still find it in the root directory of 3dsmax.

Message 23 of 38
PROH
in reply to: aon.914858227

Got this problem today on Max Design 2014 64bit, Windows 7. Haven't uninstalled any Max versions, but had some windows updates running a couple of days ago. Wired things happens...

I'm not much of a programmer, but I hope I'll be able to fix it, with the advises from this thread. Otherwise I'll be back crying out for help 😉

Thanks
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 24 of 38
lightcube
in reply to: PROH

The problem went away after loading Max as Administrator once. (Even though my user account is an admin... you need to right-click your start-up icon and choose Run as Administrator.)

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 25 of 38
PROH

Hi lightcube.

Just found it wasn't MaxDesign 2014 but 2012, but anyway your tip solved the problem. Nice and easy 🙂

Thank you
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 26 of 38

Thanks!   The hotfixes totally worked!

Message 27 of 38
abbynickerson29
in reply to: steve

I'm having the same issue. However, when I try to do the things others reccomend, nothing works.

I'm using 3DS Max 2014, if thats any help to anyone.

Smiley Frustrated

Message 28 of 38

Hi there, got the same using 3DSMax 2015 + W7 Enterprise, runs OK when execute as Administrator!

My 2 cents

Message 29 of 38

In 2016 these same error occurs.

The run > maxcompontents.dll fix does not work either, so following the advise above I simply righ clicked on the 3ds max shortcut > ran as admin and it works fine.... phew .. Thanks all

Message 30 of 38
elcerbe
in reply to: Giles.Famer

I had the same problem and created an account especially to thanks all of you ! 😄
Message 31 of 38
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: elcerbe

Hello everyone!

This thread occurred before my time, but I'd like to mark the solution.  Would any of you please let me know which post # was the solution so future users can benefit from this knowledge? Thank you very much for doing so.

Best Regards,

Message 32 of 38

Message 33 of 38
pokoy
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

While the proposed workaround resolves the problem, it can in no way be the official solution. In many places, users will not get the admin password in order to run Max only to circumvent this problem. There needs to be an official fix that can be deployed by IT in places where admin passwords can't be shared with common users.
Message 34 of 38
lightcube
in reply to: pokoy

Agreed. It's odd in that it's the only standard modifier in Max (that I know of) that is bound to some registry value. Seems like it should be removed from needing any registry values at all. But barring that, this is the only solution you've got as an individual user.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 35 of 38
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: pokoy

Hello @pokoy and @lightcube,

You are not the first people to say this and you absolutely have a point.  In this case, unregistering and registering the maxcomponents.dll should fix this issue.  To top it off registering .dll's still requires admin rights to do.  In the case of this thread, that's the answer as I understand it.  If anyone is having issues, make sure to unregister it first. 

I am not an IT person, but I believe it's possible for an Admin to log in and right click on the 3dsmax.exe and go to Properties->Compatibility tab and click "Change Settings for All Users".  By giving admin access to the program from here, it should allow the program to run as Admin without the need for the admin password or login credentials, providing that this was set by an admin in the first place. At least, that's how this feature was sold when it was introduced.  If it does not work this way, your IT department may be able to force the admin rights on 3ds Max without the need to know the password using other methods.  I've worked in environments where this was the case, but I don't know enough about network administration to expand.  

Best Regards,

Message 36 of 38
cinemantica
in reply to: eicronie

Thank you soooo much eicronie!

Your tip fixed my Max 2014 error.

Message 37 of 38
feisal7TCFS

Iam Trying this now with my max 2015

Message 38 of 38
feisal7TCFS
in reply to: feisal7TCFS

worked!Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report