Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing resolved! 3dsmax2017 Service Pack III resolved no mental ray Bugs.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
hartmann
1070 Views, 14 Replies

Nothing resolved! 3dsmax2017 Service Pack III resolved no mental ray Bugs.

3dsmax2017 Service Pack III resolved no mental ray Bugs. Nothing not one Bug.

- Proxies Bug not resolved
- physical Material BRDF not resolved
- Photon Bug not resolved
- i will not test anymore.

and why is Autodesk happy to present service Pack III?

PS: Please don´´t sell Cars, than have we not weels or Brakes.

mfg

hot chip

Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: hartmann

that's why 4 years ago, when mr nearly destroyed couple of projects, I deceide to use vray.

Message 3 of 15
Daf
Advisor

Torsten - I feel  your pain but you know that Mental Ray updates now come from Nvidia and they are very much behind on both MR and Iray SDKs. We still don't have pasqual support for Iray. This is not an Autodesk (this time) failure. They can't do anything with MR until they get the new SDK. 🙂

Service Pack 3 fixed a few different issues having to do with the Max core. Especially happy that Select by Material was fixed.

Daf

3DS Max 2020.3
i7-4790 @4GHz • 32GB • GTX 1080/8GB • Windows 7 Pro
Message 4 of 15
hartmann
in reply to: Daf

Hello Daf,

thanks for the comment. Yes i know that Autodesk wait of the new SDK, but Photon and Proxie is not new.  Objectlights is not new, Puppet Hair work only with 3dsmaxhair.dll from 3dsmax2014, and and and. I mean not the new Pascal Engine, i mean old stuff. *grins*

Message 5 of 15
stop.waiting

Why didn't Autodesk even fix the things wrong with the Mental Ray install?  To use Distributed Bucket Rendering we have to run a user created script?  They don't even tell people 'hey, we broke DBR, so you know.'  They make every user go through the trouble of problem solving it themselves, then trusting a user script in their production environment.  The install configuration issues weren't fixed with this SP.

Also... FumeFX.  You guys broke FumeFX for Max 2017.  That was after I converted my render farm to 2017.  What a joke.

I can't get reliable results anymore, and have to fight Mental Ray now.  I think it is classless to blame Mental Ray or nVidia.  You guys did the 'surprise' removal from it, for Maya... causing Mental Ray/nVidia to scramble to create a free Beta Maya MR plugin... and you purposely concentrated on your blessed Arnold purchase('they thought it couldn't be done').  Give me a break.  Fix the render engine implementation that so many of use rely upon.

If Mental Ray doens't work right, suddenly in Max 2017... then don't release Max 2017.  Seriously what are you guys doing?  Did everyone get fired?  You couldn't even fix 'Select by Material' until SPIII.

Genuinely concerned.

- Greg

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: stop.waiting

wait....dbr is broke? I was waiting to migrate to 2017 until the select by material was fixed. DBR is a show stopper for us. If thats the case, I will have to continue waiting. Why an I paying the subscription price for 2 seats??? AD needs to get their act together!!!!

Message 7 of 15
spacefrog_
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

wait....dbr is broke? I was waiting to migrate to 2017 until the select by material was fixed. DBR is a show stopper for us. If thats the case, I will have to continue waiting. Why an I paying the subscription price for 2 seats??? AD needs to get their act together!!!!

It can be fixed by copying some files from the nvidia folder - just do a search on the forum ...

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 8 of 15
jens.diemer

Pyro777 schrieb:

Yes, it true... More info and patches here: https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches#mentalray-dbr-service-bugfix

Another strange bug, that can easy fixed by AD is the SSS Bug: https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches#sss-patch

I don't know why AD doesn't fix this...

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Tags (4)
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jens.diemer

You know guys, i have a REALLY strange feeling about this - it feels like there are 2, maximum 3 developers at Autodesk working on the bugs. So 2 or 3 people in total are doing the job for millions of users. Just look at the amount of fixes in each Service Pack, look at the time they had for these and think about it. It can't be more than 3 people! What i price margin for Autodesk.

Message 10 of 15
jens.diemer

Seems that MR has a very low priority for AD...

Maybe, the big studios doesn't used MR.

The same for backburner? The same for every new cool max feature, that are useless because of bugs?!?

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Message 11 of 15
hartmann
in reply to: jens.diemer

This is not the Problem 🙂

it give many Big FX-Studios that use mental ray. The Problem is a ware between Autodesk (Software) and NVIDIA (Hardware). The Problem for Autodesk is that more and more Code is implemented in CUDA (Grafikcard from NVIDIA), and Autodesk lost Power of the 3D-market. NVIDIA have with Iray the best GPU Render Engine, and if NVIDIA programing iray + mental ray updates for the older Verison of 3dsmax, for example 3dsmax2009, lost Autodesk money. NVIDIA have so much money that can buy Solidworks and/or Cinema4D.  It´s a ware, and we stay in the middle.

cheers

thorsten

Message 12 of 15
stop.waiting

For those interested in the FumeFX not working with Mental Ray in Max 2017, this in green, below, is from nVidia, through Sitni Sati, regarding the Mental Ray implementation in the 2017 release. - Greg

We've got a reply from Nvidia:
"Segmented shadow mode was re-worked in MR 3.14, and there have been some issues in the volume shaders.
It has been resolved in the meantime, but not in mental ray 3.14.1 in Max 2017."

So, at this point we're looking if there is anything inside the FumeFX-mr shader that can be done to solve this issue.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec

Message 13 of 15
companioncube

mental ray is not included with Maya anymore and i guess it will be the same for 3Ds Max next year. It seems like Arnold will be included.

as for the fixes for mental ray, i don't know how much that is to do with autodesk at all.

think you need to move on.

Message 14 of 15
spacefrog_
in reply to: companioncube

If you use Mental Ray and even more so iRay professionally and want to keep using it in the future, i guess it would be best to head over to Nvidia and grab info about the  newest developments over there. I can't talk about the situtation regarding MR with Max 2018, but as companioncube said: Maya 2017 got stripped from Mental Ray and the customers where not given the SLIGHTEST ahead warning ( not even those who prolonged subscription right before release) and all where caught in a really awkward situation, having spent money on a fundamentally changed/ limited product ( no MR,  no Maya UI independent batch rendering option any longer )

I really doubt that Autodesk will do the same stunt again with 3ds Max 2018 , but who knows. I hope such relevant info will be published soon enough and that can only come from Autodesk directly of course...

Regarding the DBR breaking: it's mostly a installer/packaging bug, so i don't know whether this falls into Autodesk's or Nvidia's responsibility. But as i wrote above, you can fix that easily by yourself. But as no one showed a reaction to my post, i guess this thread is more about ranting then actually finding a solution ? (no problem with that, i only don't want to participate in such threads too much )

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: spacefrog_

It's almost true what you say about:

"i don't know whether this falls into Autodesk's or Nvidia's responsibility"

but there is a big BUT: we pay Autodesk, not NVidia! There can't be any responsibility of NVidia, as we don't pay them and we are not in any way having a contract with them. Autodesk is the only guilty institution here, as only they are our affiliate. It is not our business what their business with NVidia is.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report