Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If 3ds Max & Maya are so similar, why does Autodesk offer two separate programs?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1312 Views, 4 Replies

If 3ds Max & Maya are so similar, why does Autodesk offer two separate programs?

I was doing research to find out whether I would be better off getting 3ds Max or Maya. What I found out is that they're very similar in what they do. The only differences that users pointed out is that Maya is better for animation and 3ds Max is better for games. Maya is more customizable and offers greater possibilities. 3ds Max is easier to learn and compatible with other Autodesk softwares. I don't know how true these statements are but the differences don't seem very big. I think I would probably go for 3ds Max because of its compatibility with other software but I don't like that 3ds Max is currently only available for Windows. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hazlipa
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous , welcome to the community!!

As you summized, it really comes down to preference. I myself use Maya, and have been able to create assets to use in games natively. So both are great for entertainment creation, so it's really hard to recommend one over the other. Maya is however available on Mac natively, though you can boot camp your mac to run windows for 3DS Max as well. I would recommend trying the trial available on our website. See which one fits you better!

Autodesk Maya 2015 Trial Page

Autodesk 3DS Max 2015 Trial Page

Hope this helps you decide!

Ariel Hazlip
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: hazlipa

Thank you for the links to the trial versions. It will be easier to know which one is more suitable for me once I try out both programs.

How long does each trial last? I heard it takes at least a few months to get a good grasp of how each program works. Is there some way to extend the trial period offered for each program?

I will most likely have to try the programs one at a time since I don't think I can learn much about them if I try them both at the same time. 

According to what I have heard, 3ds Max seems like a better option for me but I really wish it was available for Mac OS. I have installed Windows on my Mac but I don't use it very much because it's inconveninent to work with and less reliable than Mac OS. Also, I haven't assigned much space to the Windows side so I think I would probably run out of space if I decide to permanently run 3ds Max on Windows. I'll give the trial a try though because I want to learn more about the program's features and what I can accomplish with it. I might make accomodations to run it on Windows if no Mac version becomes available. 

Message 4 of 5
hazlipa

Good Questions! The trials are 30 days each and there is not a way to extend them, so I would recommend staggering them, focus on one at a time. Once you learn one, you will have a good understanding of the other.

There is not a mac version currently, and no word as of yet about making a Mac version. I am also a Mac user, and have mine boot camped for the same reason. I would recommend boot camp over parallels.

There are a lot of really great tutorials on youtube, both from us, and other users. I would recommend taking a look at those if you're wanting some pointers  on how to get started!

Let us know if you have any other questions! Smiley Happy

Ariel Hazlip
Message 5 of 5
georgie.youl

Hi bytheriver
You asked....
How long does each trial last? I heard it takes at least a few months to get a good grasp of how each program works. Is there some way to extend the trial period offered for each program?

You could use Desktop Subscription -with pay-as-you-go monthly (or quarterly).
It's great if you want to extend your evaluation time, or use the softare for a time limited project, as it gives you access to the full versions of the software, only for as long as you want it, at a low monthly or quarterly cost.
This gives you a chance to spend a bit more time on top of the 1 month trial, evaluating each product.
Personally I use this so I can trial products for 3 months, which I found to be a good amount of time Smiley Happy

You can read more about Max and Maya + prices here:
http://www.autodesk.com/startsmart

and desktop subscription here:
http://www.autodesk.com/desktop-subscription

Don't forget to check out the AREA site for examples from Max and Maya: http://area.autodesk.com/
There is some super cool stuff happening there!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report