Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export module failure

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
4094 Views, 3 Replies

Export module failure

I keep getting this error when I try to export a .flt file. I've uninstalled and re-installed 3ds Max Design 2010. I don't think it fully uninstalled because the new installation is already activated. I tried deleting the Autodesk folder under my username \AppData. I've tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I've tried 'export' and 'export selected'. I've searched around the internet too.

Is there some way to get more information on the failure? What can I try to get this exported? I have copied files from my home (here, where the problem is) to work and the object/file exports fine so it must be something with my installation. I'm running Vista here at home, but I run XP Pro at work.

I just don't have any information or experience on what to try.

Sorry, my problem file is twice as big as the upload attachment limit.

My configuration:
3ds Max Design 2010, SP 1
Vista Home Premium 64-bit, SP 1
HP m9520f
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, Q8300 2.5GHz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GS
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Max licensing is designed to survive an uninstall/reinstall - that shouldn't be an issue or a cause for concern.

The inability to export as a .flt is though - it works perfectly here.

The directory under AppData is not the one you need to remove, the one you want is under Local Settings. Note that that directory is hidden and will not show up in explorer unless you configure it to "show hidden files and folders".

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

I just installed 3ds Max 2011 and am still getting the error - now on my Windows 7 machine.

Is no one else (that exports OpenFlight) getting this error?
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

I found a resolution after many attempts at install/uninstall and a few interactions with support.

Apparently, the export process, at least for OpenFlight, executes some process that requires elevated privilidges. If when you first run 3ds Max, you right-click and select, Run As Administrator, you will always be able to export .flt files.

*Note* if you are using 3rd party applications, like 3dConnexion's Space Pilot Pro, etcetera, you will also need to stop the driver, then restart it by right-clicking and selecting, Run As Administrator. If you don't, your Space Pilot Pro will not function inside 3ds Max.

I hope that I save someone else the huge headache that this has been for me. I asked support to forward the issue and resolution on to the development team.

I was able to export .flt files briefly during two of the installations, but was unable to repeat the process that worked, until I discovered the Run As Administrator.

Before you ask, yes, when I installed 3ds Max 2011, I right clicked on setup.exe and selected Run As Administrator. Yes, my account is a member of the Administrators group. No, the account is not the "Administrator" account.

Best of luck and regards,
Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report