Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty scene viewport less than 8 fps

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ZSNO
1695 Views, 10 Replies

Empty scene viewport less than 8 fps

I used to use 3DS Max 2014 and everything was fine, but more recently I upgraded to 3DS Max 2017.

The viewports in 2017 have been absolutely terrible so far, it seems as if they're capped at 8 FPS since they get very close to it.

My computer has an i7-2600k, 16GB RAM, and a GTX 1080 so my hardware shouldn't be an issue here.

If I switch the viewport driver to Legacy Direct3D it runs very well, but I'm missing the newer features of Nitrous.

Anyone know what would cause 3DS Max to run at a max of 8 fps using Nitrous?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: ZSNO

Hello @ZSNO and welcome to the community,

There have been some driver issues with the 1080 cards that NVIDIA is still working out.  That may be the reason you have some problematic viewport performance.  In a general sense there should be nothing wrong with your setup, but the drivers are all over the place lately.  NVIDIA released a new driver this morning I believe, I would give it a go and see if it helps.  This thread seems to have more people experiencing FPS issues on the 10X0 cards, may be some useful info in there.

If you don't mind, could you attach a file (empty) for me so I can check personally if somehow your empty files are getting bloated any/or slowed down?  Thanks for doing that.

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 11
ZSNO
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello, thanks for replying.

I've just updated my drivers and I still get a max of 8 fps.

I've attached an empty scene file and it does seem to be twice the size of my Max2013 files.

Message 4 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @ZSNO,

I don't see anything specifically wrong with the scene, so I think the key is to look a bit more at the system.  I have a couple questions, maybe we can narrow it down a bit.  

Do you also have an integrated graphics card in your motherboard?  If you disable it, any improvement?

Can you please verify that your monitor is plugged into your 1080 and not into an onboard or integrated graphics card?  

Can you please list the power specs of your power supply?  

How are you measuring your FPS?  (Statistics?)

In your system BIOS, is your GPU set to dedicated, hybrid, or onboard?  

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @ZSNO,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on your issue?  Did the BIOS card selection have any affect?  (Or any of the other questions?)

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 11
ZSNO

I have an integrated graphics chip, but in 3DS Max it specifically tells me that Nitrous is attempting to use my GTX 1080

3dsmax.png

I'll try disabling the integrated graphics when I get the chance.

I can guarantee my monitor is plugged into my GPU.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hx-series-hx750-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-modular-ps...

To measure the FPS I pressed the '7' key while on a viewport. The viewport is very stuttery so I trust the number it shows.

Message 7 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @ZSNO,

Thanks for answering those questions.  I know it seems silly to ask some of them but you never know.  I wonder if there are any hints as to what is happening in the event viewer logs.  Do you see anything in there?  If you want to PM me a link to them I can check them out as well and see if anything shows.

Which OS are you on?  I'm trying to collect as much info as possible.  It may be that there is a bug in Nitrous with the new cards, but not all of the 10X0 cards are exhibiting this behavior.  Which 1080 do you have?

I wonder if any improvement can be made by switching power settings in Windows to performance mode.  Or, I believe in NVIDIA control panel there is also a power configuration option, might be worth a look.  8 fps is really, really low and it's almost like it's not using enough power or... something.  Thanks for any more information you can give me. 

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 11
ZSNO

Turns out my internal graphics was disabled this whole time.

I'm on Windows 10. I have the "High Performance" option selected for Windows and the "Let the application choose" option for Nvidia Control Panel.

I have the base EVGA GTX 1080 (http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-5180-KR)

There were no new events in the event log upon opening 3DS Max.

Here are screen shots from Task manager and EVGA PrecisionX showing that when moving the viewport with the cube, it doesn't seem to be using any resources.

3dsmaxCPU.png3dsMaxEVGA.png

I know the GPU works fine as I can play even the most demanding games on the highest settings with 60+FPS, but something is odd about Nitrous.

Message 9 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @ZSNO,

I see, thanks for checking those things.  Without some event logs or something else to go on, there isn't much I can do to repro this issue.  I'd need something to go on to log it as a bug.  The only thing I can really suggest is to try to use the driver version used in testing on 2017 which is 369.26.  Every problem I've seen so far with 10X0 cards has been accompanied by an event log error such as DCom 10016, .Net corruption, or ucrtbase.dll problems.  

Are you also running a 670?  Does the problem persist if it's not plugged in?  Maybe the driver isn't working properly with two cards from such wildly different families.  Hard to say.  Any other information you can provide would be helpful.  

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 11
ZSNO

I just managed to find the solution to the issue. Unreal Engine 4's editor GUI was having the same issue, so I Googled for Unreal Engine 4 instead and I came across a post that said that EVGA's Precision X caused the GUI to be slow. I ended Precision X process and booted up 3DS Max, and the viewport is all the way up to about 180 fps!

So for future reference, EVGA's Precision X causes issues with some application's GUIs!

Message 11 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @ZSNO,

That... I never would have guessed.  Thank you for updating the thread with that information.  8 fps was mind bogglingly low and I was hoping internally that your graphics card wasn't dying.  It's hard to diagnose issues caused by 3rd party programs, and I really appreciate you taking the time to update the thread.  I will remember this if it comes up again, and you marking the solution also helps for future users.  Kudos!

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report