Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dagor Utililitiies

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2408 Views, 8 Replies

Dagor Utililitiies

Hello all.

I am brand new to 3ds Max and old as Jesus to Blender. I model Airplanes and Ships in Blender fairly well but I need 3ds Max to manipulate then into the Gaijin War Thunder CDk (Content Development Kit) and also to use and alter the Dagor files that it utilizes. On the CDK guide from War Thunder it says to open up the Utilities in 3ds and the dagor files, and Object Properties Editor are there.

It is possible that this was a feature in 3ds 2011 but I don't seem to be able to locate it in any 2014 to 2017 suite. I have the CDK I'm just not sure if I can import the files to 3ds Max. Any help with this would be really appreciated. AI-400Seirana2aplane.blend.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

I'd be glad to help out on this.  When they say to open the Utilities menu, they mean this image below, technically the Wrench icon is the utilities menu but they often hide more tools in the "more" button:  

Utilities.png

In a lot of cases plugin makers will write scripts and extensions that add an entry to this area.  I'm guessing here that they have some sort of script that when added or run will place the menu item you are looking for within this space.  I'm not familiar with this particular Kit but I'll still try to help.

Now, every object in max has a simple object properties dialogue that you can get to by right clicking on the object and selected "Object Properties" but I have the sneaking suspicion that in this case it's an actual script or plugin by the company you listed there that you/they mean and not the simple max object properties.  If they included an installer or script that asked for the max root directory, I'm guessing you'll find that in the menu as shown in the image above.  Keep me posted.  

Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question. This lets me know that I was effective in helping you, and thank you for doing so.

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 9
lightcube

By the looks of it, the War Thunder Max tools are specific to 3ds Max 2011. Only plugins developed in MAXScript will commonly work between several versions of Max... so if the plugin was written in C++ and compiled, you are SOL in trying to use the tools in the current versions of Max.

You'd probably get more knowledgeable answers about this specific toolset on the War Thunder forums, though.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 4 of 9
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Just following up here, any progress?

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thank You for inquiring. I have been rather busy finishing a book. I did have a friend from the War Thunder forum that is in Germany work with me for several hours to no avail. I either need to reset, and reinstall windows 10 on My new computer or learn much more that I know now about 3ds Max. I have 3d modeled in Blender for about 5 years now and am fairly skilled with that program. I am also fairly skilled with Gimp2. I make my own custom skins for the planes in War Thunder. I need to get the Dagor Utilities to work in 3ds Max though so I can submit a few Japanese float plane models that I have built. I have thought about sharing the models with cohorts on the forum to get them into the game, but as I have months of work into them, I think I would rather do it Myself. TY once again.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: lightcube

I have a friend in Germany that is using Win 10, and 3ds Max 2017 and he has it working. It takes a lot of Script writing in all of the language files. I think My computer is messed up and I need to reset it though, as My Action Mirrilas also doesn't work. We messed with My computer for about 4 hours and it wouldn't work when it did on his, so hopefully I can get it to work, or Ill download 3ds Max 2011. I have 3D model aircraft that I can import from Blender and I need the Max to import them into War Thunder, and I need Max to Dagor file them to make the models work in the game.

Message 7 of 9
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Interesting, with any luck your friend might be able to help you out with the scripts he wrote.  Keep in mind only 2017 is supported for windows 10, 2011 likely won't work well on windows 10.  Good luck on your project.

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

So It turns out that the CDK works fine in 3ds Max 2017, the folder had to be renamed from 2017 to Max2017.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thank You for the message. I haven't even worked on the project for a couple of years now, as I just basically gave up on Autodesk. I mostly use Blender. I have thought about seeing if a programmer could write scripts to use Blender with the CDK so i wouldn't have to export/import/convert axis the model from Blender into 3Ds max. I have been working on a book project about ships that Germany didn't build during the second world war. I have been working on and off on this for six years after studying it for over 20 years. I published it on 14 February on Amazon Kindle and am real happy about it. I have already started working on the second volume. I have made 3D models of the ships to create Illustrations for the book and Wikipedia articles. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OclassCruiser2Dmap4-eBigFlagalt.jpg

I would like to get back to the SEIRAN Plane and the Glen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJCHuWocCLg&t=0s&index=1&list=PLiNJ4-w4W1HzqAtnq_LjuFWOGScyH54hG There have only been I think 2 or 3 people that have modeled an aircraft that have been implemented into the game via the CDK program. TY for the folder solution. I will try it. 

MyBookCover.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report