Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backburner manager not working : "could not bind private multicast sockets etc."

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
filippoperon88
3572 Views, 24 Replies

Backburner manager not working : "could not bind private multicast sockets etc."

Hi everyone, i have an issue when i try to use backburner in my PC, for simultaneus rendering. But when i try to start the BACKBURNER MANAGER i have some errors as show an image attached . It's sound like this old post, which never been solved http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/need-help-with-backburner/m-p/4976680/h... someone have solved this issue ? Thanks
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

I'd like to help you with this issue regarding backburner manager.  You may need to get your IT department involved with this, as it appears to be an access violation.  Just to be clear, is the error message this one?

"ERR Could not bind private multicast socket on 'eth0': An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions."

If so, there are a few things you could check and I have a couple questions as well if you don't mind.  

1) are you using IPv4?  Backburner does need IPv4, IPv6 is not fully supported at this time.

2) When you ran the manager for the first time, was it on this login/username?  Or was it another user account that ran the first backburner manager on your machine? 

3) Do you have a backburner.xml file located at "C:/Users/(Your User Name)/AppData/Local/backburner?  If so, can you attach it?  If not, please let me know.

4) Is your manager machine physically connected to the network or is it using Wifi? 

5) Is windows firewall (and/or your 3rd party firewall if used) allowing backburner to access the network?  The port that needs to be open is different based on which version of backburner you are running.  Which version of Max are you using?  (I can tell you the port if I know that.)

6) Edit: One more thing.  Does your username contain accents or special characters?  Try making a username that uses only standard characters with no accents.  

Let's start with those questions and we'll go from there.  I do see that this issue was left unsolved in the past, but we're going to nail this down!  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 25

Hi, thanks thanks thanks, to give some time to help me with this issue.

First, the error, from italian translate, more or less, is the one you say, but i attached the log file in the post

then:

1 - I use ipv4 and static ip adress

2 - the user account which i used to ran backburner the first time is the only account i have on the PC ( my account named "Filippo" )

3 - yes, i have it in the location you say, i've attached it on this post

4 - My PC it's connected by WI-FI networking ( i use a usb wifi adapter )

5 - I don't know, but i tried to test it disabling windows firewall e start the manager, but got same errors. I use 3ds Max 2016 SP3

6 - My username ( you mean the name of user account of my pc, right ? ) don't contain special characters.

Message 4 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

Based on your logs, it seems that the manager is running on your machine, is that correct?  Can you also please post a screenshot of the error message?  I'm currently basing my questions around the screenshot in the thread you linked to, but it would be best to have your specific one.  (Thank you.)

It seems like the error Eth0 implies it's looking for a connection over an ethernet connection, not a wifi connection.  I suppose it's possible that for some reason it's reporting the MAC address of your ethernet card instead of your wifi card.  Can you verify that the MAC address listed in the log is in fact the correct one for your WIFI device?  Instructions here.   Or is it the MAC address for your Ethernet Port 0?  (Some motherboards have 2, and they count up from 0.)

You'll want to verify this on your servers and on your manager machine.  It's possible that backburner reported the first network device that it found (in this case, eth0) instead of the wifi card.  Once you find it, if it's different than what is in the backburner.xml, you can update the .xml with the new information. 

You may (or IT may) want to also check to see what kind of connection type your wifi adapter has to the network.  (Home, Work, Business).  Depending on those there may be some permissions issues involved.

The last thing I would want to try is to create a user named "TEST" and see if the manager works there.  Perhaps the user account has been corrupted.  This is not likely, but it's worth a shot.   

Please try these things and we'll take it from there.  

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 25

Hi , thanks again

- yes, manager is running on my machine

- i've attached the screenshot of the error of manager.

- i verified the MAC adress on backburner.xml file, and it's the same of wifi usb connection i use, and the other two MAC adress not working because i've      disabled the LAN hardware ( i've attached a screen of my network devices for your information )

- I use an home network

- I tried to create a "test" user, but same issue.

Thanks a lot 

Best regards

Filippo

Message 6 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

Interesting.  Something is happening with the TCP/IP settings in your network and it's not getting permission to bind the socket.  I wonder, could you check the network settings for your Wireless card and see if you can set the DNS to "automatic" and the IP Address to "Auto" as well if the problem is resolved?  (reboot required)

Other than that, we need to figure out what could be blocking TCP, it's probably windows firewall or your own 3rd party one if you have one.  Do you use a 3rd party firewall?  

This is something that is happening on your network, and it's likely to do with security settings on some software or the OS itself.  Let's try the above and regroup.

EDIT:  Also, is there a network cable you could try to see if it's working with an ethernet connection?  Just as a test?

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

I just wanted to follow up here and see how this was going.  Can you check to see if your AV (or Windows Defender if you don't have one) has Real-Time Protection on?  If you turn that off, does it help?   I'm thinking that there's a chance Windows is "protecting" your manager from communicating outward. 

Another user in another thread found that by running 3ds Max and Backburner in Windows 7 compatibility mode helped with his issue, I wonder if you could also try that as well?  In this case I wonder if there is some protocol handling differences in 7 for the TCP/IP communications.  The issue wasn't exactly the same, but it's worth a try.

Thank you and please keep me posted. 

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 25

Hi, i tried to disabled my "Avast" antivirus , like your last solutions but not working.
I tried to use compatible mode with windows xp, but not working too.

At the end i tried to connect my pc to my router with ethernet connection, with domestic network ( assigned automatically by windows 7) ,

and IT WORKS !!!!!

I attached a screenshot.

You may know that my LAN device, is integrated into the motherboard, while the wifi usb card like this
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/ZgcAAOSwVFlUGzvS/s-l225.jpg

is plugged in the frontal usb port of my PC.

I want to understand, because i can't always use the LAN connection.
thanks a lot lot lot lot
best regards

Message 9 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

That's good news, we know that the backburner manager is working on some level, it's just not communicating properly with the wifi.  (Progress.)

Can you double check that the correct MAC address is listed in the backburner.xml file?  Currently it reads:  <ManagerMAC>0036765623090000</ManagerMAC>

But... if the LAN connection works, this likely means that this MAC address is actually for your LAN card and not your WIFI card.  Your server is using the same MAC as well within the .xml file.  

I would plug in the wifi card, maybe consult the manual that came with it for finding the wifi MAC, and then try pasting that into your backburner.xml file in the place of the LAN MAC that is currently there.  Please keep me posted!

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 25

i try to check the MAC adress using the LAN connection ( manager works ), and the backburner.xml show this

<ManagerMAC>0036765623090000</ManagerMAC>

but how it is possible ? this is the MAC adress of my wifi card, because the one of my LAN card is 44-8A-5B-CC-71-0B

then i tried to enable wifi CARD, when LAN card was working ( and LAN CLABLE DISCONNECTED), after reboot the PC, my connection was through wifi card automatly from w7 although there was the LAN card active.

THE MANAGER WORKS TOO !!

and the MAC adress , in the xml file is for the wifi card

best regards

Filippo

----update-----

i reboot again my PC, lan card and wifi card active,network  connection through wifi card, and LAN cable disconnected, but manager NOT working again !! ( before this, it was working, why ????!! uff !! )

Message 11 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

This is a good question.  You aren't the only user who has had issues with WIFI and backburner, but I really want to solve this.

Can you please do 2 things for me?

1) Can you go to the windows button, search blank, and type "cmd" and press enter?  Then when you are in the command shell, can you please type "ipconfig -all" and attach a screenshot of that window?  Do you see any references to 'tunnels' or IPv6?  

2) Can you please reattach your backburner.xml and backburner.log files.  Since it was working with the LAN connection, I imagine there may be updated or new information in them.  I'll use Google to translate them.

Thank you for doing that. 

Best Regards,

Message 12 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

Haven't heard back in a while, thought I'd check in.  Any progress on your issue?

Best Regards,

Message 13 of 25

Hi, thanks again for your patience. And sorry for my poor english

1 - I attached the screen of cmd- ip config -all
but i don't understand what you want for " reference to tunnels and ipv6 ", maybe i think there is something in the screenshot about it.

2- i attached the log and xml file.

Sorry for late answer

Best regards

Message 14 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

If I am reading this screenshot correctly, your wireless adapter is actually using IPv6, which is unsupported in Backburner.  If you disable it and reboot, we have just have made some major progress here in solving your issue.  I have directions here on how to disable IPv6.  If it's a bit too technical, here is a youtube link. Can't wait to see if this works out for you!  Have a great weekend!

Best Regards,

Message 15 of 25

Sorry, but not work ! same issue Smiley Sad 

Message 16 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

I'm sorry to hear that.  Basically what we are dealing with here is that windows is denying you access to bind the socket, it's a windows permissions issue either by the OS itself, or some 3rd party software such as antivirus or firewall.  When I saw that IPv6 actually *was* on all this time, I thought that had to be the issue.  We know that backburner is working properly because when you plug your LAN cable in, everything is working.  So, we can be sure that it's somehow related to permissions.  I have some questions below that may help us, thanks for answering them. 

Is there anything you can tell me about your wifi card?  

Does it have "internet connection sharing" or some sort of tethering enabled?  

Is it running through a proxy?  Is the connection split or open to other users?  

Eth0 is working, so let's focus on windows, avast, and firewalls.  Sometimes Avast firewall may block something (or not) but windows firewall is also blocking it.  For example if there is some sort of app that allows the wifi card to function, it would also need admin rights.  

What is the brand and model of your wifi plug in card?  

Best Regards,

Message 17 of 25

Hi thanks again for patience

1- the wifi card is this

http://www.ebay.it/itm/NANO-ADATTATORE-WIRELESS-USB-MICRO-PENNA-ADAPTER-MINI-PEN-NETWORKING-WI-FI-N-...

and i installed this driver ( Because w7 do not Recognized this automatically )

http://www.davidago.com/ebay/usbwifi.rar

and its technical specifications:

Chipset Mediatek 7601
802.11n 150Mbps Wireless USB Nano Adaper.
STANDARD: IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g (draft), IEEE 802.11b
FREQUENZA: RANGE :2.4-2 0,4835 GHz
CHANNEL: 13
SUPPORTO Protocollo di rete: CSMA / CA con ACK
modalità di trasmissione: DSSS
SENSIBILITA'
54-68dBm @ 10%, 11M:-85dBm @ 8% PER, 6M:-88dBm @ 10%, 1M:-90dBm @ 8%, 256K:-105dBm @ 8% (valore tipico)
CARATTERISTICHE DI SICUREZZA: il supporto IEEE802.1X, TKIP, AES

2 - i don't know about internet connection sharing, thetering,and proxy because i only plug in the wifi card in the usb port and connect it to my router, nothing else ( i think )

however i tried to disable avast antivirus and windows firewall, without results

best regard

Message 18 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

Thanks for the information.  I looked into this and this is what I found:

The architecture this wifi hardware is based off of is Chipset Mediatek 7601 as mentioned in your link.  When I go to the driver page here, I am unable to actually download drivers.  This may be why you had them as a separate link.  The potential that the drivers you linked to are not 'perfect' for this usb wifi are there, but I can't do much about that.  Maybe you can try to update them from the Mediatek website, but all I get is a non-responding page when I do the captcha.  

I think that given all this info, we're really down to windows, mediatek, and your router.  I am qualified to support none of them, but there is 1 thing left to try.  We might as well give it a shot:

1. Disable IPv6 in ethernet adapter settings 
2. Disable and re-enable ethernet adapter  (wifi card, in device manager)
3. Go to cmd as admin and type "netsh winsock reset"
4. Shut down pc (not restart)

5. Turn back on PC after a few minutes

Let's try this, but if you can find updated drivers for your card that would also be a good thing to try.  The truth is that I am not a guru when it comes to windows, routers, or wifi cards themselves.  I feel at this point that we've nailed down the cause here to something outside of Max/BB.  It may be time to ask in Windows forums, Avast forums, or Mediatek help line.  If you do, make sure to mention the error message:  "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions".  I think this is the key bit of info, and you can see other users having this issue in windows here and here.   Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Message 19 of 25

Hello @filippoperon88,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on your issue?

Best Regards,

Message 20 of 25

Hi, sorry i Will out for holiday until half september, i Will work to it when i come back home.
Best regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report