Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign Random Colors doesn´t work in 3dMax 2009

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
2767 Views, 12 Replies

Assign Random Colors doesn´t work in 3dMax 2009

Assign Random Colors doesn´t work in 3dMax 2009, i tryto use it but still keeps the original colour. Is there a way to fix this?
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Assign Random Colours means assign random colours on object creation. It's not designed to change the colour of existing objects.
Chances are you have the object(s) on Layers and they are being displayed in the colour set for the layer, or you have a material applied to the object(s) in which case it's the material being displayed, not the object colour.

Start a new scene, create a few boxes. If they're different colours then it's working correctly, if not then save the scene, zip it and attach it to a reply so we can look at it and find the cause.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Actually thats what i want to do....i want random to work while i´m making new objects. But is not working 😕
I Started a new scene, created a few boxes. they are all in same colour, and ASSING RANDOM COLOURS is on... so it´s not working for me 😞
Message 4 of 13
Steve_Curley

Save that example scene, zip it and post it here - attached to a reply, then we can look at it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

here it is 🙂

Message 6 of 13
Steve_Curley

No - thats an image - we need the scene file - *.max. The file written to disk when you do a File > Save (or SaveAs). Remember to zip it, the forum won't accept .max files unless zipped.
Also, you carefully removed the title bar from your image - the very part which would tell us if you have Max or Max Design - a very relevant piece of information.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

sorry, here is the scene... it´s in maxdesign 2009

19463_pRtb1PmWnUrHO3SjulGK.zip

Message 8 of 13
Steve_Curley

Max Design defaults to "by layer" - all objects on a given layer are shown in the same colour - for easy identification in the viewports, I assume.
Standard Max (i.e. not Design) defaults to By Object which I guees is what you were expecting.

Customise > Preferences > General (tab) > Default to By Layer for New Nodes (UI section, on the right).
You can also change it on a per-object basis in the Colour Picker dialog - click the "By Object" button - but that will only affect the currently selected object.

There are many differences in default settings between Max and Max Design, if you really want to revert the whole program to work like it did in previous releases then look at Customise > Custom UI and Defaults Switcher, though that would then beg the question of why you got Max Design in the first place 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks Steve! that was exactly what i needed!
And thanks for answering so fast! I´m not sure why i´m using max design instead of simple max... I´ll try to read more about it!
thanks again!
Pato
Message 10 of 13
Steve_Curley

Very little to read - there's almost no differences. Either program can be made to function like the other (through the Defaults switcher I mentioned above). The only true differences are that Max has the SDK but no Lighting Analysis, Design has Lighting Analysis but no SDK. If neither of those are important tou you then it's immaterial which you choose.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

now this is some serious business. i, like the other guy, finally put my hands on max design 2009 and find out that some defaults are different from other versions. and for god, i can't find the section specified to change the default setting for random colours. guess im going blind... if a kind autodesk guy could just be more specific explaining where is this section i would be very glad
thanks people
Message 12 of 13
Steve_Curley

Customize (menu) | Custom UI and Defaults Switcher.

Select the "MAX" setting to get all the old defaults back.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 13 of 13
e.delcid1957
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Bueno muy bueno, que es el mismo en 3ds max 2016. Gracias

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report