Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max and Graphics Tablets

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
7630 Views, 6 Replies

3ds Max and Graphics Tablets

I am looking to purchase a graphics tablet. I believe I have decided on
the Wacom Cintiq 21UX.

I would appreciate some feedback on the benefits of using a graphics tablet
over the mouse in 3ds Max and how it might help in employment.

Also, if anyone here uses the Cintiq 21UX I would really appreciate knowing
how they like or dislike it.

Thanks,
TwH
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Brock_Lafond
in reply to: Anonymous

A tablet with Max sounds like a recipe for head-aches, unless you're painting weights or using the viewport canvas.

Probably about 90% of what I do in Max, I do with a mouse.

90% of what I do in ZBrush is with a tablet... In my opinion a tablet is great for painting and sculpting but has many shortcomings elsewhere.

Not sure about the new Cintiq's, but I remember my hand getting quite hot after extended use.

If you're absolutely serious about going the tablet route, I recommend Intuos. There are various sizes and a number of tips for the stylus to simulate various drawing implementations. The default one feels very much like drawing with a pencil.

As for helping with 3DS Max related employment, I can't see it being a benefit unless you know a studio/job you are going for uses tablets regularly. Ultimately it's being able to get the job done that gets you hired.
Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 3 of 7
adam.t

I use a 21UX. Can't recommend it enough, but I don't use it with Max as it requires the Cintiq to be the primary monitor (or IIRC mapped to the right hand side of the primary monitor). Being left-handed, I have it on the left...Max really doesn't like this; caveat emptor.
Message 4 of 7
adam.t

Not sure about the new Cintiq's, but I remember my hand getting quite hot after extended use.

Never had any issues with temperature (and you should really use a artists finger glove when using one, to avoid greasing the screen). That said, I live "North of The Wall", to borrow a George RR Martin line..so any extra heat is welcome 😉

I've often wondered why nobody's made a heated mouse!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I absolutely love it! After using a mouse for well over a decade, and trying to work with a Intuos II, I can't say enough about the Cintique. I have had no issues, and Max works on both monitors properly. The Cintique has been a major asset.

FYI, no I don't work for them, and I seldom endorse any product, so this is a completely unbiased users view of the product.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Hi TwH,

at first please accept that my english is not very well formed.

but otherwise I consider to some of the authors, were answering before.

Wacom Cintiq 21UX and 24HD are better to use for ZBrush, Anime Studio, Manga Studio, Toon Studio,
Maya, Softimage or SketchBook. This tablets are the best money can pay, trust me please,
but if you have decided your self to buy one, please don´t forget a Smudgeguard or Smudgeguard2
this is better for the handling 😉

For the plain use of 3ds Max, regarding the money you will spend and also for a faster use:
As an example if you are a right hand worker:

Left side from the desk: Space Pilot Pro from 3D connexion.
A very fast navigation through the menus.

In the middle of the desk: 105 button Keyboard G15 from Logitech.
It offers you 54 free program able buttons, they can be programmed by a function or macrorecorder
As example: open & close menus very fast or the undo,......

At the right side from the desk: A G300, G400, G500 or G700 mouse from Logitech
This are mice with also up to ten different buttons and they can be programmed for many not only for one program, likes this way; 3ds Max > Maya > Photoshop > After Effects
So you have for each program a total different button setup. Example: the esc key on a mouse button,......

At the upper right side of the desk better a Wacom Intuos4 or Intuos5 tablet.

All for the same money and lets you work much faster than only one tablet.

I hope this was helping you a little bit.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I use a Wacom Bamboo tablet both at home & work for 3DS Max. It was for an ergonomic issue more than anything else. Personally, I don't find having the palm of my hand parallel to a desktop for hours on end very comfortable. Whereas using a stylus, I think my hand is in a much more comfortable position. I do give up zooming in/out in the viewports (my stylus does not have a wheel), but I do fine with the keyboard/stylus button combination.

Regarding employment, I don't see how this will affect it at all. Not something I would put on the resume.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report