Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2018 - 3ds Max's future in 2017.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Isaac_Zuniga
21235 Views, 27 Replies

3ds Max 2018 - 3ds Max's future in 2017.

Hey all, I believe there should be a place to talk about what we hope to see in the future release[s] of 3ds Max this year, so I created this.

3ds Max 2017 offered some nice features, even a new physically-based render engine. However, as with everything, not everyone is happy and should have a chance to speak up to share their thoughts.

What are your personal opinions and/or thoughts about the upcoming 3ds Max 2018?

Need help? Need to contact Autodesk? Click on the link below!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contact-support/technical-support
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

I would love Autodesk to improve the AEC extended feature Autodesk have the same old same old AEC since version 6  but they won't improve that because they have autocad which i did not like

Message 3 of 28
kris
in reply to: Isaac_Zuniga

It might be better to talk about max 2019.  I strongly suspect that 2018 is almost completely locked down by now, and in the final beta test.  Ergo any contemplations of what might be in it will almost certainly lead to disappointment...

Kris.

Message 4 of 28
Isaac_Zuniga
in reply to: kris

Personally, I hope that they fix the stability issues of 3ds Max in this 2018 release. I really don't care for new features now, rather I want a stable program.

Believe it or not, but the hair and fur modifier was severely broken in 3ds Max 2017; because of that, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with the program.

Message 5 of 28

You can promote what you would like to see in potential future releases by creating posts on the Ideas site. I would recommend that you do a search before blindly posting though, as something you may have thought of could be there already. If it is, vote it up. You can vote anything you want, but only get one vote per item. Even though you can comment on a post, the Ideas site isn't a full on discussion forum. However, it's still one of the best ways for letting the Product Team know what's on your radar.

Check it out! http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/idb-p/164/tab/most-recent

-----------------------------
Chip Weatherman
Product Manager, 3ds Max
Media & Entertainment
twitter.com/chipnuts
-----------------------------
Message 6 of 28
pokoy

Did you report these? This doesn't sound right and if you ever come across obvious bugs, make sure to report any issues to make sure they're addressed by the developers.

Message 7 of 28
saeedrh

I play around with most avaliable software and 3ds max very neat software even faster than maya in modeling and scene set up great pipline for rendering with most famouse renderer but somting always makes me sad is fluid dynamic and availble particle system presets which always push u to set up plugins i think max needs somthing like xgen and bifrost indeed. Houdini and maya together is next place for motion graphics and we lost this kind of effects inside max. Placing some features like ndynamic soft bodies inside maya would be add some exictement to max i mean adding presers and ease of use 2.imporoving texture painting 3. Proboolean with advance features 4. hair and fur modifier improving 5. Adding some famouse plugin to its workflows ( somethings like frost pack pro or multiscatter ornatrix ) 6. Improving even more uv editing 7. Auto rig procedures and overall i knew that u can do with max if u are pro but as artist pov autodesk should add artistic veiw to this software vs modo vs maya and so on max is g8 +++
Message 8 of 28
arboitjy
in reply to: saeedrh

I use ( test ) Houdini (one year now ) ...
I was a GREAT loyal of 3d Studio and also 3ds MAX ...
But since some versions with bad innovations and many bugs, ... I look with sadness to leave (me too) the users of 3ds MAX.

I have the impression that the latest version Houdini 16 (AMAROK) ... and the beginning of a switch of users ...

https://vimeo.com/202435893

Message 9 of 28
saeedrh

Agree that s impressive . But as my exprience with different softwares this new features somehow sometimes makes us confiuse. Each effects and works need time and practice and after that it show its power for example i see at first sight new features inside modo 10.2 and i said thats wow but after working with that see how much max viewport works better and modeling and shading is fast. Max is real ninja even better than maya. Again when works with maya thousands of scripts u should install for single effective boolean and modeling workflow. When start working with houdini its the same so for each of this software u should live with them to show their strange.for max users i suggest combine your max with vray and phoenix fd turn it to real beast. Data channel modifier is great and real power. Blend features also great way to delete uv mapping in futures. That s my idea and hope max brings some wow in future for users beacuse logic and way this software works is g8++ 😄
Message 10 of 28
arboitjy
in reply to: saeedrh

Sorry, but 10 years ago Autodesk had the monopoly, today the department "Multimedia entertainment" occupies 3% of the market ...

For 5 years I look from the users to > C4D, Blender, and now the professionals to Houdini.

Maya still has a good place, but very little invest in the new versions ...
Indeed, Maya is still in the business because personal productions tools have been developed over ...

New productions companies, think more and more, and Autodesk is not the first choice ...

3dsMAX is filled with incoherenced, spline eggs, populate perfectible, bad display, menu organization, CAT, Biped without improvement, non-existent fluid, approximate fabric, basic dynamics ... during this time the competitors advanced

Message 11 of 28

3ds Max? Future?

Hmmm, 3ds Max is a great tool but need a very big improvement. Max is deprecated.

Need Kill

Video Post

Radiosity

Light Tracer

Physique

Atmospheric Apparatus

VRML 97

Sunlight

Ring Array

Need a creative update

Array

Space warps

Deflectors

Biped/CAT
Geometric/Deformable
Controllers for animation
Splines
Tools for animation and characters
Hair and Fur

Maybe create a new max is better 😕

Message 12 of 28
jone

completely overhaul the Backburner software.

It's 20 years overdue.

Message 13 of 28
d.kaindl
in reply to: jone

3dsmax is completely outdated, there was a long time no pressure from the market - because the competition was simply bought up.

There are no recognizable efforts maya and 3dsmax positively influence each other, no plans to drift the base.

I am already firmly convinced that at 3dsmax only 2-3 programming work and also occasionally a few purchased plugins incorporate.

Largest construction sites in 3dsmax:
- wire parameter editor (since ages completly outdated)
- schematic view (absolute useless)
- CurveEditor no Improvements since years
- Modal Dialogs everywhere
- no homogen and features
- select from scene Dialog ("Best fit" ... wtf?)
- Hierarchy editor not compareable
- Xref Scenes and Objects - not compareable with references in maya
- Xref Rigging and Reference
- no Alternative like RPManager
- and so on ...
- Slow Viewport
- old UISystem (Docked Toolbars, Edit fields, no calculation / maths in InputFields and so on)

We want to switch to C4D or Blender, but have a lot of data.

Few good things that still let us use 3dsmax:
- Vray and FStorm implementation
- our own scripted pipeline
- deadline connection
- RPManager

Message 14 of 28
phloog

No serious improvements will be made. They're going to switch over to rental and milk a dying cow. It's as if someone at AD said "Let's list all the WORST things we could do to our customer base....got em? Now let's do them ALL!!"
Message 15 of 28
hansolocambo

Autodesk doesn't give a **** about their customers. The Interface of 3DSMax is the same for more than 10 years. I can turn and move in 3dCoat or ZBRush's viewport for hours without an issue but keep swearing at Max every 10 seconds because the view never turns around what I'm working on. There is still (!!!) no pivot point that can be moved around all the time like litterally EVERY other 3D software, even the great Spacedraw on Android does that... Smoothing groups with numbers in the menu instead of colors like polygroups, easy to identify, etc, etc, etc. The list of crappy things that annoy me (and tons of people in forums) for more than 10 years is so long that it's just not worth talking about it : 3DS Max coders don't listen. Don't give a f...ck. We are the ones paying and making them rich. Well I was one of them.

Now it's ZBRush - 3DCoat - Modo - Substance. F..ck Autodesk. You are not necessary anymore. The Dinosaurs of 3D who forgot to evolve. It takes 2 mins to install ZBRush or 3DCoat. More than 4 hours to install 3DSMax & service packs. An arthritis 3D Soft.

Message 16 of 28
arboitjy
in reply to: hansolocambo

I know....

I said, and repeated ... several years ago, because I was in the team of beta testers ... I never had an answer ... except that I had "to close" my mouth !

Now I feel it's too late for 3ds MAX....

It's a pitty...I liked this software very much...but it's a old story now !

Message 17 of 28
ramissin
in reply to: electrotoast_old

@electrotoast_old wrote:

You can promote what you would like to see in potential future releases by creating posts on the Ideas site. I would recommend that you do a search before blindly posting though, as something you may have thought of could be there already. If it is, vote it up. You can vote anything you want, but only get one vote per item. Even though you can comment on a post, the Ideas site isn't a full on discussion forum. However, it's still one of the best ways for letting the Product Team know what's on your radar.

Check it out! http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/idb-p/164/tab/most-recent

Your not still flogging that old horse are you ?, another 6 years of you ignoring user requests...other software is available, Max has been left behind.

Message 18 of 28
sebastian___

If you want the view to turn around the selected object and even subobject - activate the "orbit subObject" option. It will remain that way for every scene.

That option should be on by default.

GUID-8BA50E93-0A96-47C3-AB54-83EB796536BC

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/3DSMa...

Message 19 of 28
Isaac_Zuniga

For those who are interested, out of anticipation for 3ds Max 2018 (for better or for worse), I happened to stumble across the new possible splash screen for this year's release: https://www.behance.net/gallery/50405173/Splash-Screen-3DS-MAX-2018

I must give credit to the guy who made this, 'cause that image looks pretty dang nice. It's quite a bit of eyecandy for me to look at.

Message 20 of 28
vusta

@hansolocambo

@hansolocambo wrote:

There is still (!!!) no pivot point that can be moved around all the time like litterally EVERY other 3D software

you mean like press Insert ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report