Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like to connect CAT rig to model of real human skeleton

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
RobH2
2683 Views, 7 Replies

Would like to connect CAT rig to model of real human skeleton

I've done about 10 different tutorials over the past few days in a search for a good way to rig a realistic human skeleton model I bought. I'm not a rigging and character animation expert so I was hoping to take advantage of the IK already built into CAT. I can't seem to find a good workflow for attaching the CAT rig to the skeleton model. If I use a skin modifier on the skeleton model and use the CAT rig to control it I get a lot of deformation of the skeleton model no matter how carefully I adjust envelopes. 

Is there a way to just modify a CAT rig over my skeleton model so it's really, really close  and then attach the skeleton model bone geometry to it without using skin? I don't want any deformation, I just want the movement and IK functionality. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2022-2024.2), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tyree_10
in reply to: RobH2

if the model is a single object. you will have to use skin. and there is no perfect skin tool. but if its seperated objects you can link the matching catbone to the bone that it will control. but it will be robotic motions 

Message 3 of 8
RobH2
in reply to: tyree_10

That would actually work well. The whole skeleton will never walk or have to do any combined movements. Only one joint at a time will be bent. I'm adding mucsles over the bones but for instance only the elbow will bend or only the knee will bend. I just couldn't find anything that talked about linking the CAT bones to the objects without using skin. Now that I know it is, in fact, possible, I'll do some more reading and see if I can't figure out how. 

Thanks for verifying that it's possible. It really helps a lot.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2022-2024.2), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 4 of 8
RobH2

tyree_10 I think you are saying to "Select and Link" as I play with this more. That's a very simple solution that I was overthinking. Again, I appreciate it.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
VishnuR

Hi,
Select and Link is most likely what you will need for that goal. Just make your objects occupy same space as the relevant CAT limbs/body parts and use the Select And Link feature on each item > match/link it to corresponding CAT part.

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/files/GUID-D5446135-7734-4F9A-A1A1-3564FB89147B....

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 6 of 8
RobH2

Yep, got it. Thanks all...

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
petersen1973

How would you handle the radius/ulna and tibia/fibula relationships?

Message 8 of 8
RobH2
in reply to: petersen1973

I'm the wrong person to ask here as I'm a hack when it comes to character animation. I have a lot of respect for anyone who is really good at it. Hopefully, someone will weigh in and assist you. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report