Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help! How do I adjust vertices without losing the connection to the skin?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JrLatham
4432 Views, 4 Replies

Please Help! How do I adjust vertices without losing the connection to the skin?

Hello Everyone,

My problem was experienced by someone last year, but it appears that no one has responded to his question. The link to the original post is: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Animation-and-Rigging/Adjusting-the-Character-Mesh-and-Rig-Tutorial-in...

Using 3ds Max 2013, I have skinned and weighted a mesh. After I make adjustments to some of the vertices of the mesh (at the Editable Polygon level), the mesh loses its connection to the skin; the mesh will no longer move according to the skeleton's animation, despite the fact that the skeleton's bones are still present in the skin's Bones List.

When I follow the directions of the Autodesk tutorial, the mesh continues to lose its connection to the skin, even when I use the tutorial-supplied model. Here is the link to the tutorial: http://download.autodesk.com/us/3dsmax/2011/help/index.html?url=./files/WS1a9193826455f5ff-316fd70e1...

How can I solve this problem?

Thank you for your help!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JrLatham
in reply to: JrLatham

Hello again, Everyone.

No one responded to my inquiry, so perhaps no one else (except for the one person from last year) experienced this problem. However, good news! After much thought, experimentation, and prayer, I found a solution that I will post here for anyone else who encounters this difficulty. I will also post this solution in the thread of last year's inquiry.

In Order to Adjust Vertices without Losing Their Connection to the Skin Modifier:

1. Left-click the Select and Move tool.

2. Left-click your model.

3. In the Modifier Stack, de-activate the Skin modifier by left-clicking the light-bulb.

4. In the Modifier Stack, left-click the Editable Poly.

5. When the "Warning" dialogue-box appears, left-click "Hold/Yes."

6. In the Selection Panel, activate Vertex mode.

7. Adjust any vertices, as necessary.

8. In the Modifier Stack, de-select the Editable Poly, by left-clicking it.

9. In the Modifier Stack, left-click the Skin modifier.

10. Activate the Skin modifier by left-clicking the light-bulb.

11. Play your animation. The vertices will have been adjusted without losing their connection to the Skin modifier, and your model will move according to its skeleton's animation, as it did before you made the vertex-changes.

Message 3 of 5
aon.914858227

Hate to say, but you don`t have to do that.

Skin preserves changing topology below the skin-modifier usually pretty well.

No Idea what you are doing wrong,  but I attached additional geometry, refined the mesh and deleted other parts without loosing the binding to skin.

Usually you turn off 'Always deform', make your changes and turn it on again.

Message 4 of 5
nevel94

YOU ARE THE BEST! thank you very much, i working with 3ds max during several years, but this stupid issue always comes. It's worked if you do it step-by-step as you wrote. 

This point with unselecting editable poly most valuable here, i always click on skin instead of unselecting

Message 5 of 5
roryharvey
in reply to: aon.914858227

I have absolutley the same issue whether 'Always deform' is enabled or not.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report