Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link rig to mesh?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
15438 Views, 7 Replies

How to link rig to mesh?

Hi, I see no documents or tutorial which explains how to connect the rig and mesh. Can some one help
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

use the skin modifier.
Message 3 of 8
Tim_Wilbers

Yes. Skin.

But you have it back wards, you want the bones to control the mesh.
Yes you can Link bones to a mesh, but then the mesh controls the bones. Not what you need.

By applying the Skin modifier to the mesh object and assigning the bones as the controlling objects you actually set up a condition in which the movement of the bones transforms the verticies of the mesh.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you very much
Message 5 of 8
KVMaster

I had the same issue and question... Found many tutorials on RIG manipulation, but not a single one explaing how to attach my 3D Human mesh to my Human Rig
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hi there, wow I'm so glad to find some people here having the same problems as me with skinning, not ONE tutorial out there for skinning cat rigs. Anyways, I am still having problems, despite using skin modifier, it only seems to move slight bits of my mesh. I already tried adjusting the envelopes and they go all around my mesh yet when I move the bones it does not move the legs or tail etc (I am trying to skin a dog here), it only moves a tiny bit of the dogs back when I move the back bone up really far. The bones looks more than big enough so I do not understand why??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Message 7 of 8
KVMaster

Hello Jousy, I am having the exact same problem, and haven't found a tutorial which tackles that problem. I have had a few people tell me to take a look at the Paint Weights option when you click on the Edit Envelopes button located within the Parameters section of Skin. Once you pick on a section of bone, you can pick Brush sizes and literally paint the power amount you want that bone to control on the verticies you want controlled by that bone you selected... I just now started working on my model, so cant tell you how well it works yet. But give it a try and let me know how it works for you.
Message 8 of 8
KVMaster

Hey Jousy I just had another member tell me about a video on the (Autodesk Subscription) website. If you have access to this site goto, The (Training) area, (Autodesk 3ds Max Design e-Learning), (Autodesk 3ds Max Techniques|Rigging a Character for Games) If you download this video, It covers everything we are having problems with. its 1.1 GB, so it will take about 35min. to download, even with cable connection modem. Good Luck...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report