Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAT Pose Mixer not working in Max 2012?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
KristofferHelander
1157 Views, 12 Replies

CAT Pose Mixer not working in Max 2012?

I've been fiddling with this all day on different rigs but I can't get the Pose Mixer to work in Max 2012.

1. I use "Add Bone" on the head-hub to create a face rig.
2. I create a Absolute Layer and set CAT in Animation Mode.
3. I move the bones into the position but without setting any keyframes (do I have to?).
4. Open the Pose Mixer and select my CAT rig.
5. Select the face bones I want to store and press "Save" in Pose Mixer.
6. I select a file name, but that files only end up 1kb large.
7. I delete the Absolute Layer and creates a new one for testing the pose.
8. I make sure the CAT-rig is still selected in the Pose Mixer interface
9. I select the stored pose from the list and I dial the numbers up, left or right....

... but nothing happens.

Is it just me, or are you having the same problem in 2012?

Cheers!
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

I just tested the same procedure in Max 2011 and it works just fine. Can some else confirm this bug?

For Max 2012 I have SP1+HF1+HF2 installed.
Message 3 of 13

I sent a report regarding this to Autodesk today.

But can anybody please try this and confirm that the issue is not just mine?
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: KristofferHelander

The same here. I´ve looked in the .pmf files with simple notepad and they are almost empty.
I´ve played around with max design 2011 and found some strange inconsistent behavior with the pose mixer.
So I´ve installed the 2012 version to see if it´s possibly fixed in the newer version but then
I discovered that it´s completly out of order. 😞
Message 5 of 13

if you cant get pose mixer to work. without using pose mixer, use an animation layer but put your facial poses on local layers. and turn the global weight up and down to control the different poses
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks for the workaround proposal. What´s interesting about the Pose Mixer is the left/right and pos/neg functionality. Unfortunately that cannot be mimic via the layer workaround.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

I'm not getting anything similar to this problem, but it's a good idea to send them an e-mail and see what the issue might be.
Message 8 of 13
KristofferHelander
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you using Max 2012? And are you using Max or Max Design?
Message 9 of 13

I've tried this on Max Design 2012 32bit without any service pack installed and it is the same problem.

I also tried it on Max Design 2012 SP2 + Subscription Pack and it is the same problem. It only seems to be working in 2011 for me.

The only thing that is written into my .PMF-file is:
LMR=-1

I'm guessing this means Left, Middle, Right. Where -1 refers to Left, because that's what I chose when saving the pose.

Please give us a hotfix for this! 🙂
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

I also found it doesn't work.

That's really bad. 2013 is out now, which means no hotfix or service pack or anything was provided to fix 2012. I just wonder if it is fixed in 2013.

Oh well, I see that now Cinema 4D has a similar system to CAT rigging and motion so perhaps it's time to forget about Autodesk and move over to Cinema 4D.

It appears Autodesk have forgotten about their CAT users so why do we put up with it.
Message 11 of 13
MaikCG

Lol. As I remember CAT Pose Mixer stop working after max2010 service pack1. 2016 it still does not work. Autodesk stop! What you're doing?
Message 12 of 13
MaikCG
in reply to: MaikCG

Сan I remind?

Pose mixer still not work max2018.4 Smiley LOL

LMR=1 - this is all that it saves to .pmf file

Message 13 of 13
mikhail.skorohodov
in reply to: MaikCG

Pose mixer still not working in 2020.. Wake up Neo Autodesk!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report