Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAT Arm IK offset (position/rotation)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
deathevor
981 Views, 6 Replies

CAT Arm IK offset (position/rotation)

Hi,

Is there a way to offset position/rotation (rotation mainly) of IKTarger of an arm without disturbing bones?

Basically the problem is that the platform (IK Target) is automatically aligned perpendicularly to a palm and the footprints can't be aligned with surface during animation.

I need to realign (rotate) without disturbing bones. "Don't affect Children" button, somehow, doesn't work in this case for both legs and arms.
However leg bones can be moved separately from platforms so this kind of problem can be fixed, but it doesn't work for arms, the platform is solidly fixed to palm. Or I just can't find the way.

The problem was found only after all skining therefore it's quite difficult to replace it with a leg.

I would really appreciate if somebody could help.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tyree_10
in reply to: deathevor

seems like you dont want to add legs. you could copy the back legs changing the arms to legs. or put the arms into fk and align them to the ground manually
Message 3 of 7
deathevor

Changing to legs will take a lot of time for re-skinning.
So there's no point to copy legs. Aligning the bones will be easy, however had some problems with leg behaviour.
Before I though that arm IKtarget will work the same way as leg's one (so you can offset the bone).

Also it would be useful to know if it is possible at all, as sometimes after bones are done and skinned, you start to do animation and find that platform should be in different place. So moving the platform without disturbing bones would be very good option.
Message 4 of 7
tyree_10

what about putting the arms in fk and aligning the platforms while in fk
Message 5 of 7
deathevor
in reply to: tyree_10

This can be done. But what's after?

As soon as you move slider back to IK, bones slide back to platform position.
I wish I am doing something wrong here, as it would be best solution if they could stay in relative position after switching from FK to IK.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

You can try linking the platforms to other objects. E.g. create new CAT bones (select the palm, click Add Bone, unlink this bone from the palm) and link your platforms to these new bones. Then animate with the new bones.

This methodology can be used to create a reverse foot set-up.

Note: I don't believe you'll be able to use CAT Motion layers very well with this kind of structure.

If you're only interested in the platforms visually looking aligned to the ground, you can always add an Edit Spline and shape/move them however you like. Obviously this is only a cosmetic change. If you need the underlying transforms to be different, I'm not sure there is an easy way to achieve that.
Message 7 of 7
deathevor

Practically, I can offset the foot platform (to vertical position) and it will do the job.
In this case platforms are vertical and palm are horizontal. All animation works fine.
But as soon you want it to react to surface, the vertical platforms don't react with horizontal surface.

So CAT just missing small option to offset palms from platforms

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report