Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World Coordinate "Z" elevation

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Rob_J_
388 Views, 3 Replies

World Coordinate "Z" elevation

How can I change the default insertion point of objects/content in my scene? 

I am working with a Civil group that uses above sea level coordinates to generate their topos.  When I link their BIM files the ground plane is never at Zero.  Due to the file having to be refreshed every now and again, it is just more convient to leave it at it's current elevation.

However, it makes it a pain when inserting objects and other content, because Max wants to always put it in at zero.  Is there a way to change this so that it puts items in at what ever "Z" coordinate I chose as default for that scene?  Say 500ft. for example?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ekahennequet
in reply to: Rob_J_

As far as I know, there is no way of changing the default value of World Z coordinate.

You can use the Grid Helper object.

1. Create Grid object from Helpers group in Create Panel and place it at 500ft.

2. Right-click Grid object and select Activate Grid object. All your viewports will reflect Grid object's coordinates and whatever you create in it will be at 500ft on Z. To disable it, right-click Grid object and Activate Home Grid.

Another option is to use Autogrid. Create a simple Plane object and place it in the scene while you work on it and move it to 500ft on Z. You can later delete this once your scene is completed.

1. Create a Plane object large enough to cover your scene area and place it at 500ft on Z. Keep the segments to minimum at 1 so it's not too heavy.

2. Select the elevated Plane object.

3. In Create Panel, choose a Primitive such as Box. Then turn on or check "Autogrid" right under Object Type Rollout.

4. Create the Box in either Top or Perspective View port and draw the Box directly on the Plane object. Your newly created Box object will be at 500ft on Z. Repeat #2 through #4 for every new object you create.

Message 3 of 4
Rob_J_
in reply to: ekahennequet

The Grid Object helper is exactly what I needed!  Thank you so much for a simple solution.

Message 4 of 4
ekahennequet
in reply to: Rob_J_

You're welcome. Glad it helped. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report