Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Silhouette on Wireframe mode?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
genepawns098haha
1611 Views, 12 Replies

White Silhouette on Wireframe mode?

Hey guys,

Just imported a Zbrush sculpt as an .obj and wanted to see the wireframe in 3DS.

However wireframe mode is always a white sihouette.

Anyone know how to fix this?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Any ideas anyone?
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: genepawns098haha

You could try changing the color of the wireframe, maybe it's just the vertices being soo super tight together that it looks like a plane.

Just assuming here though...

Message 4 of 13
genepawns098haha
in reply to: Anonymous

how can i change the color of the wireframe??
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: genepawns098haha

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMa...

I can't confirm if this is what I was thinking about, because my 3ds max install just died recently, but i think it is.

Message 6 of 13
genepawns098haha
in reply to: Anonymous

Okay so, By changing the color, it really does change the wireframes color Also I dont think the color is a flat 2D image because when I pan around the obkect holding alt and middle mouse I can see from different angles(Its just that the model is a solid color)
Message 7 of 13

Any ideas?
Message 8 of 13

Any thoughts guys?
Message 9 of 13

Hello @genepawns098haha,

I'd like to help you with this.  I have a couple suggestions and let's see if they take us where we need to go here.  

As @Anonymous mentioned, it sort of looks like the model is set to wireframe and is too dense so the wires look flat.  If this is not what is happening, then it just needs a material added to it and set the viewport to realistic or standard and make sure to turn off wireframe on shaded  (F4).

If that STILL doesn't work, maybe it's set to display vertex shading somehow.  (Super weird.)  You could right click it, select Object Properties, and make sure that Vertex Channel Display is off.   If THAT doesn't work, maybe you could attach a file here that is only say 50 polys of the model (a tiny section of the neck or something) so that I can check it out and get back to you quickly.  

Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question. This lets me know that I was effective in helping you, and thank you for doing so.

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 13

@alfred.Deflammis Hey Alfred! You were right it really was that it was too dense that it just looked white from far away(I zoomed in to see all thepolys) It has 874k vertices 1,748,000 faces ______________ Im importing this from ZBrush, (In Zbrush the active points are 466k) How can I make my mesh have a wireframe like... http://i.picpar.com/44jb.png
Message 11 of 13

Hello @genepawns098haha,

Glad to hear it!  In Maya that is called "Wireframe on Shaded" view, in 3ds Max it's simply called "Edged Faces".  The hotkey for it is F4, or you can go to the menu listed below:

edged faces.png

Message 12 of 13

Is there a way to reduce the poly count in 3ds?

Even on edged faces mesh is so dense it still comes out as a solid color until i zoom in to see the polys.

Message 13 of 13

Hello @genepawns098haha,

Well, yes... but I have my doubts as to how effective it will be compared to say something like decimate in Zbrush for a model this dense.  But you can try it. Here and here are two links that may help you with this.  I think the best bet is to not use the super high res mesh in 3ds Max, but maybe export a lower subdivision with displacement or normal map exported out of Zbrush.  I understand the process but I don't do much Zbrushing...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report