Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What modifiers would I use to mesh curls like this

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Doohoo
1502 Views, 3 Replies

What modifiers would I use to mesh curls like this

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. I want to make curls like this in 3ds max and was wondering what modifiers would be used to do this? Thanks 🙂

Untitled-2.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
andrewmcadam1402
in reply to: Doohoo

Hi Doohoo.

I have attached a jpg and max file to this message which i hope gets you some way to what you are wanting to achieve.

I have used a taper modifier to get the mesh to taper towards the end, and have then used a twist modifier to get the twist. The center of the twist modifier has been moved slightly to allow the mesh to give that twisty tunnel effect and I have also rotated it slightly so the the thinner end do not have such a large twist.

Hope this helps 🙂

Message 3 of 4
Doohoo
in reply to: andrewmcadam1402

Hi Andrew. Thanks but when try to make it more like a spring shape it all gets messed up. The twist modifier curl doesn't seem the same as this one below, It seems more like a spring but using modifiers?

Untitled-1.jpg

Message 4 of 4
danderson
in reply to: Doohoo

Could you use a helix as the path for a loft? Then you could taper the loft and scale your ribbon to a taper.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report