Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Machine

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1196 Views, 6 Replies

Virtual Machine

I have a server and wants to run backburner network rendering on several virtual nodes. Can it be done? and how can I get backburner 2016 to connect several virtual machine at the same time?

What is the performance ratio running 3ds Max rendering via backburner on virtual machines?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

I am sorry to inform you that it would be impossible for me to answer those types of questions.  I don't have any sort of data or numbers to share with you here, and to be truthful it is unclear to me what the benefit of running it via a virtual machine would be.  I am not a network admin and I haven't used a virtual machine for much except emulating windows 10 for bug tracking and verification purposes.  

I apologize for the inconvenience.  If it helps, this link has some information about backburner and a troubleshooting section.  The only advice I can give you is that if you can ping across the virtual machines, access network drives and shares, and are using IPv4, theoretically it may be possible.  How to do those things on a virtual machine is outside of my wheelhouse.  That being said if you do find a way to make it work and post it here, I will Kudo and Accept Solution on it and that may help future users with similar interests.  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

I have a server which is running Linux OS. With two processors and 32GB of RAM, the Linux only use a very small fraction of the resources.

So I created several virtual machines with windows 7 because 3ds Max/burner cannot run on Linux. The Virtual Machines are working fine, but I am unable to connect all the virtual machines to the backburner at the same time.

To be clear once I connect, let say VM01, within backburner and then try to connection VM02, VM01 gets remove from backburner for some reason. To date I haven’t come up with any solutions to fix that. Note the virtual machines have their own IP address and name.

It there any way to get backburner to see all the virtual machine at the same time

Message 4 of 7
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I see, using Linux would require a virtual machine as you've said.  It makes more sense to me now.

I don't have any notes or documentation about this scenario, but if you don't mind that I communicate in a general sense we can try together to work this out.  When you say you are connecting to backburner, do you mean via the server app?   (In other words, the manager only allows 1 server at a time?)

Is there some sort of concurrent connection limit to virtual machine?  Or does it only allow so many outbound/inbound TCP/IP connections?  (Also, is this WINE?)  

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Sure, I will love to figure out how to get it work.

Yes the connection with a server and Manager. I am not sure about the limits per virtual machine.  Maybe backburner is registering the Server as a machine and not as  vIrtual PC , even though it has it own IP address and name.

Message 6 of 7
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Interesting.  I wonder if the virtual machine is using DHCP or is somehow assigning the same MAC or IP address to these nodes.  That might be one way that it would drop them if a new one came in.  Other things to look out for might include if the machine name (virtual or otherwise) began with a number or special character instead of a letter, that may cause issues.  You might also try to map a network drive and see if all of the servers can write to it simultaneously to make sure there isn't some kind of limit to the number of concurrent connections.  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 7
istan

dump out an "ipconfig /all" from all machines and post it here. may be we can see there something.

imho it makes no sense to use several VMs on one and the same CPU. several dual-xeons running one 3dsmax each - that makes sense.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report