Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport lag in quad view, not in single view

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
y-p
Enthusiast
1048 Views, 9 Replies

Viewport lag in quad view, not in single view

I already posted this at CGTalk but unfortunately didnt find a solution:

even in an empty scene my framerate in the quad viewport is about 7, 8 but in single view its 30-40..

I'm a little unsure if it was low like that before and I just realized now or sth. has changed.

(Guess it has not been so slow as its really annoying)
Using latest NVidia drivers and a 3DConnexion Navigator with 3DS Max 2013.

Any idea why?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
y-p
Enthusiast
in reply to: y-p

No idea anyone?

Maybe one how I could get closer to solve this issue?

Message 3 of 10
dom2207

I had the same issue, I guess it's a lag from the 3dconnexion drivers, just press "D" on each other viewports ( this will deactivate update on viewports ), not a solution, but it can help.

Message 4 of 10
spacefrog_
in reply to: dom2207

My explanation would be that the 3d Connexion drivers cause a massive increase of viewport redraw calls, which of course slows the whole viewport down a lot.

I bet you will see a slowdown with those drivers even in single maximized viewport, but not such a large amount..

Would be interesting to see what happens when you disable your 3d connexion drivers completely. You might experience a whole new world of fast viewport 😉

Message 5 of 10
dom2207
in reply to: spacefrog_

You're certainly right, but the 3d mouse is so useful ...
Message 6 of 10
y-p
Enthusiast

Thanks for these suggestions and sorry for replying late!

Disabling the viewport didn't change anything and yes, I cannot leave my 3D mouse, no way 🙂

I tried it at some other computer with a similar setup, even a lower quality graphics card- smooth like baby butts even in high poly scenes.

Actually this is where a 3D mouse shines, it handles packed scenes better and smoother than the normal navigation..

So I have to find the error somewhere else...

Had a neighbor watching my pet when I was on holiday- who without permisson started my pc (what a **, cant tell how much I hate people on my office machine..!) installed a game (!) and changed some NVidia settings (lower monitor frequency and whatever else) because "it did crash all the time" (can you imagine how much this s**ks?? Some people are just crazy..) and I am quite sure it has sth to do with it. Never change a running system. Hard to change back things if you dont know any history of changes..!

So im lost with anger and errors 🙂

Learned my lesson and set up a master password.

Message 7 of 10
phillip

Hi

I am having the same issues, with objects just freezing and not being able to move them.

The cross hair moves and snaps but the object itself just stays put.

I am installing the latest update no 3, I hope that dose something.

I have restart max when this happpen.

Please can you get it sorted.

Pay enought for this product, and while I am at it, can you issue my subscription activation key please its been a neary three weeks now waiting.

Philip Kelly.....sketchrender

Message 8 of 10
y-p
Enthusiast
in reply to: phillip

Well.. maybe you pressed spacebar and locked the selection. Look for the little lock symbol in the lower toolbar if its activated.

For your activation issue I guess you should place this question in another thread or try to contact Autodesk directly, maybe using the chat..

To finish this topic: I found a, maybe the solution for this very unique problem.

That guy had installed a certain "Nvidia Inspector" helper tool to change settings of the card. There is a option to limit framerate to a specific value. This is stored on the graphics card even if the helper tool is deleted..

I resetted all values to default and it seems like its working as it should.

Still you can imagine how uncomfortable he felt 🙂

So if your hardware is not from some really old days it should be a smooth working in quad and full with 3D mouse, even though in single viewport it will always be quicker!

Anyways, happy.
Message 9 of 10
phillip

Well.. maybe you pressed spacebar and locked the selection. Look for the little lock symbol in the lower toolbar if its activated.

Ah now, I have been using the software for years.

There a number of glitches in the Max 2014.

Found another one today the draw polyline too, won't let you draw a point and insists on closing the polygone for you .

Sever pain in the A**.

Fed up with the so called upgrade.

Phil

Message 10 of 10
phillip
in reply to: phillip

Also the snap 2.5 and copy ie hold down shift, doses not work.
Also a big problem.
Can you sort that too please......Autodesk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report