Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical Object creation instead of Horizontal

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Fiaworkz
1919 Views, 2 Replies

Vertical Object creation instead of Horizontal

I'm trying to create a vertical cylinder for a cars wheel arch and when i drag the cylinder out, it is dragged out in horizontal instead. HELP. its probably really simple but its frustrating because if its a setting i dont know how to change it.

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Fiaworkz

Use the Front or the Left viewport(s). The Front viewport will create it along Y, the Left viewport will create it along X. A word of caution when using front/left viewports - the Local axes of the object will not be the same as the World (which they will be if you create it in the top/perspective viewports). This can cause issues with animation usless you're aware of it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 3
CAMedeck
in reply to: Fiaworkz

Along with Steve's advice, I will add another option.  If you create a Grid helper object, right click and activate it, you can rotate it and move it around.  When you create a new object, it will align it's origin with the Grid object.  So in your case, make a grid and rotate it 90 degrees so that it is aligned with where you want the cylinder to start and the orientation.  Then create your cylinder.

I don't use grids too often, but they are invaluable when you are building to an odd sloped surface or even want to create objects higher than 0 in the z direction.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report