Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to texture individual polygon faces after using unwrap UVW modifier.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
BurkeJustin
3321 Views, 3 Replies

Unable to texture individual polygon faces after using unwrap UVW modifier.

I am doing a texture assingment for school, and I need some help on figuring out how to texture different parts of a vest that was provided by the assignment. The goal was to use the unwrap UVW modifier and pelt mapping after using seams to separate the front side of the vest from its backside. After accomplishing that, I messed with different images of textures I photographed using photoshop. I have all of the textures set up, but when I apply a texture, the entire vest gets textured instead of just the red section of selected polygon faces.

I was unable to use editable poly without affecting the unwrap UVW modifier. When I chose polygon under the unwrap UVW modifier, the whole vest is selected white because you have to click on the vest to pull up its modifiers. By selecting polygon under the modifier I am able to highlight the polygon faces I want selected in red, but because the vest is selected from the start, the whole thing get textured instead of just the red highlighted polygons. I have attached a screen shot for a better understanding of what I am talking about. In the image, I am attempting to highlight the chest section of the vest, but the vest being selected already as a whole is stopping me from accomplishing that. Can someone help me figure out how to texture just the polygons selected in red?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
danderson
in reply to: BurkeJustin

Assign a multi/Sub-Object material to the object. Assign your material to one of the slots. Select you faces and scroll down in the modifier stack and assign the material ID to the number of the slot you used. You may have to assign the faces to a diiferent material ID if you used slot 1.

Message 3 of 4
rober.lopez38
in reply to: danderson

Is there another way to do this? i have seen some videos where you dont need to assign a multi sub, you can add the texture to the face directly from assigning material to selection button...

But when i try to do this the whole object is textured..

Message 4 of 4

I solved it, i was trying to apply the texture on a edit poly instead of an editable poly.. that made texturing the face a problem 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report