Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behavior of Front Viewport?

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
sdombrowski4163
10294 Views, 44 Replies

Strange behavior of Front Viewport?

I've had this happen twice, but have been unable to figure out the steps needed to reproduce the error consistently.

What happens is that I'm in a maximized Perspective view and when I hit "F" to switch to a Front view, instead I get some sort of quasi-orthographic view that's almost like the front/bottom/left orthagonal view if you click that particular corner of the ViewCube, but slightly rotated towards the Front View. (see screen shot) Toggling between any other view and the Front view, either via keyboard shortcut, or the pull-down viewport menu, does not clear the error... it goes back to the strange rotated orthagonal view. Clicking on Front in the ViewCube results in normal expected behavior. Un-maximizing that view (which happens to be the bottom right viewport), activating a different viewport, then switching to a Front view results in the normal expected behavior.

Resetting and starting with a fresh scene restores normal behavior to all four viewports. If I re-open the .max file that exhibited the strange Front view behavior, the problem returns. If I merge that file's geometry into a new file, the problem goes away, so it seems to not be geometry related. I have not experienced this on Max Design 2013 or earlier, just 2014.

I'll submit a bug report in a moment, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen, or if perhaps I'd turned on a new "feature" by accident.

44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
dongray
in reply to: sdombrowski4163

I've seen this or something similar, but not sure which file did this and cannot reproduce it on the fly.
Message 3 of 45
3d-Soul

the same problem here!
Windows 10 64-bit SP1.
3ds Max 2020 64-bit

Works fine here, but I do tend to kill the viewcube immediately after running Max for the 1st time. I wonder if it is viewcube related?

I also recall (vaguely) there being a problem with switching a viewport from a camera view where the camera had a Camera Correction modifier on it, but was a while ago not in 2014. The viewport "retained" the camera correction when it obviously shouldn't have done (IIRC).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 45

I've experience the camera correction problem you mentioned before, but I haven't tried to replicate it in 2014 yet. In once scene where my recent problem happened, I do have a camera, but it hasn't had a camera correction modifier applied to it. In the other scene, no camera whatsoever. *shrug*

I'll investigate the viewcube tomorrow when I have some time to throw at it. Thanks for the tip.
Message 6 of 45
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Steve_Curley

/stdplugs/AutoCamMax.gup (rename so it can't be loaded). Do so at your own risk, ofc.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 45
spacefrog_

AFAIK the strange perspective view bug after a camera correction modifier got removed or you switched the view was explicitely fixed for Max 2014

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 8 of 45

Same here, when pressing 'L', instead of having the normal left view, i had the left view, but the X axis was rotated something like 45 degres...
when pressing the "left" side of the small viewcube, it was ok

could only reproduce it on one scene
Message 9 of 45
rawalanche

spacefrog: It is definitely not fixed. I have encountered the problem many times in Max 2014. I have P key mapped to script where it sets view to perspective and FoV to 90°, because Max always resets FoV for perspective views ever since 2010 version. So thats how i work around it.

But thanks to the bug, i had to add one more line to the script to first switch to top view, and then to perspective view, to reset view and get rid of skewed view after switching from camera corrected camera. It works, but now i always end up looking from the top. I got used to it, but i was hoping in Max 2014, the bug is resolved. So i removed the top view line from my script, but it took me just an hour to encounter skewed perspective view bug in 2014. So it is definitely not fixed.
Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 10 of 45
contact

same bug today with max 2014 sp1...

Message 11 of 45
Pyro777
in reply to: contact

Same problem here. Happens rarely, but it does happen. Glad someone posted this so I didn't have to. 🙂

Not glad there is no solution yet. 😞
Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 12 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: Pyro777

Ok, this IS weird. I’m using 3ds Max 2014 x64 SP1. I tried replicating the behavior described in the original post. Created a simple cube, maximized perspective viewport, and pressed F for Front viewport. Worked fine.

Then I went back to perspective view (using the Home button on the viewcube or just switching back to quad switching), then pressed L for left viewport. My cube was rotated (see attached figure). I reset the cube to perspective view.

If I go directly to left viewport from Perspective, then go back and forth from perspective view to Left viewport, (L key), everything works fine. If I then, from perspective view, press F, go back to perspective and then press L, the cube is rotated. So my left viewport malfunctions only after switching to the Front viewport.

So, my experiment, (with an N of one), is that the Front viewport is messing things up, as the original poster postulated. My front viewport works as intended, but after switching to front, the left viewport does not function as intended. And, all of this has to be started from the lower right viewport (the original perspective view). If I start in one of the other viewports and toggle between views, the behavior does not occur.

In addition, so far this is not a rare occurrence. It is happening every time I switch viewports in the following sequence as shown in my attached image: from perspective (figure 1), to front (figure 2) to perspective (figure 3) to left (figure 4.)

Message 13 of 45
Pyro777
in reply to: Anonymous

I wish I cold replicate your problem. I followed your workflow and couldn't get it to work.

Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 14 of 45
Anonymous

Same thing happened to me today.
I was modeling an object, and when I went from front view to left (by pressing L) the object looked rotated.
If I switch to a different view everything is OK. It doesn't matter from which view I go to the left one, the problem is there.

Message 15 of 45
Anonymous

Curiouser and curiouser. This glitch happens to some, but in different ways, and it doesn't happen at all to others. I guess some of us got special versions of SP1 where our 3ds Max program has become self-aware and is now making decisions on its own.

Report this bug, or wait to see how advanced the AI will become? Will we be assimilated?

Message 16 of 45
insleight

I fixed it in my scene. 

Try going to Views>Viewport configuration>Layount and choose a different layout.  That fixed it for me. 

I encountered the problem on a new scene, after creating a plane and duplicating it a few times. 

Message 17 of 45
jneilon

We have the same issue. SP1 is also installed. 

Message 18 of 45
rkigarashi
in reply to: jneilon

I also had the same problem in 3ds Max 2014. SP1 is not installed for me, so it's not that.

This happened twice: once when using a Radeon 7770 and once on a Geforce GTX 650.

Both times it happened when switching from a VRay camera view (safe frames on) to front view (by pressing F).

The problem goes away when loading another file and then loading the first file again. Or as stated above when creating a new viewport layout.

Attached is a simple .max file where the viewport is stuck in the odd skewed view. You can see that the objects are all skewed. And if you rotate the viewport horizontally 180 degrees in either direction, there is a strange snapping of the viewport and the objects are skewed in a different direction.

Note: The attached file was rotated away from "front" before saving, so you can just push F to clear the bug on that file. But when the bug normally appears, you obviously can't just hit F to clear the bug. I don't have any other save file with the bug.

Message 19 of 45
3d-Soul
in reply to: rkigarashi

I've never liked ViewCube but it's another solution !

Windows 10 64-bit SP1.
3ds Max 2020 64-bit
grue1970

i had that, fixed it with the view cube.  when i hit the "u" key for "user view" it goes to top view haha.

3ds Max all versions past and present | GPU Rendering on 2 machines | Standard, MentalRay, MentalRay IRAY, IRAY+, VRAY, Arnold

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report