Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

skin modifier crashing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
astranime
5837 Views, 5 Replies

skin modifier crashing

Any time i go to my mesh and try to change the weights the program just freeze and closes leaving the "send this error to autodesk"

I'm using 3ds max 2014 and i have a amd phenom fx-8120 11.0gb ram and a geforce gtx 550 ti
tried to export all to obj and re import but didn't work

i hope someone will be able to help me =D

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blakestone
in reply to: astranime

It sounds like the object data is corrupt... The following should resolve your issue:

1. Copy the Skin Modifier (right-click and copy) and then delete the modifier

2. Convert your object to an Editable Poly (if not already)

3. Switch to Face or Element mode and select all faces

4. Detach Faces to a new object

5. Delete the current object (which will no longer have any faces since you've just detached them as a new object)

6. Paste the Skin Modifier onto the new object

Please let me know if the issue is not resolved after doing this, maybe send me the MAX file - blakestone@live.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 6
astranime

Wow that did the trick
No idea if this has something to do with the cause of the problem but i sent the model to mudbox and when i send it back to 3dsmax had smooth without any kind of modifier or smoothing group, and when i detached the mesh lost that smooth.

thx for the help =D

Message 4 of 6
blakestone

hmmm, the smoothing groups should have been retained, maybe this is what had caused the corruption!?

either way I am happy to hear that it's no longer crashing for you.

Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
Message 5 of 6
AdrianWise8371
in reply to: blakestone

thank you for this i apent the week working on a character only for this to start on friday.

gues i'll be recovering my data monday

Message 6 of 6

Character recovered, no data loss.

Many Thanks for the solution

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report