Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchup to 3ds Max Smoothing Groups Problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Marcellus_Ludivus_Dux
2954 Views, 4 Replies

Sketchup to 3ds Max Smoothing Groups Problem

I have Sketchup Pro 2014. I am trying to export my model to 3ds max 2010. The problem is that the smoothing groups don't import (no big deal) but I can't get the smoothing groups under the poly editor to take in 3ds Max, not even the turbosmooth modifier will work. Several google searches later I am still at a loss for what is going on.

I have tried exporting 3ds, dwg, and dxf formats so far.

I have also tried the instructions in these posts but no luck:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/curve-smoothing-when-importing-from-aut...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/modeling/can-not-smooth-my-character/td-p/4287265

Is this is common problem that has an easy solution? Could it be some hotkey preview button that I have mistakenly pressed? I hope! :)

Thanks for your help.

Sketchup Smooth.jpg

3ds max.jpg

3ds Max 2010x64

Xeon E3-1240-V2 3.4Ghz
16GB ram
Quadro 600
Windows 7 64-bit
Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi. Could be a number of reasons. A quick guess could be, that the vertices aren't welded, or that the mesh is split up in more parts (happens with very big meshes).

So, make sure all parts are one object, and then weld all vertices.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 5

So I discovered that welding the vertices by 1/4" is what solved the problem.  Very frustrating.  But at least I know now.  Thank you for the suggestions.

3ds Max 2010x64

Xeon E3-1240-V2 3.4Ghz
16GB ram
Quadro 600
Windows 7 64-bit
Message 4 of 5

Hi guys  ,
I met the same problem  and found unexpectable solution :
Add Slice modifier , and convert model into Editable poly .
All the Smoothing group troubles disappear !

Message 5 of 5
alexnode
in reply to: 3dmodel4pu

I received a latest version sketchup model  and have serious issues with normals in max 2022... especially if I start working on objects , smoothen them turn them to quads. The model normals break most of the times. The slice modifier fixes the issue. But there is something really wrong. AD should investigate. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report